What is right on this HMV

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
snallast
Victor II

What is right on this HMV

Post by snallast »

Hi I'm looking to buy this gramophone - maybe - but I wonder about a few things, is this really the right horn for this machine (apart from being in a deplorable state)? I ve seen this model only with brass horns before. Obviously the soundbox is wrong and the brake is missing.

The motor looks to be the "dog model" with the fiber wheel and looks right for the machine? What do you think about the decals, the photographs are all a bit blurred, but the best ones I can get just now. The angel decal looks to me a bit new - compared to the rest of the box?

Any opinions or information is greatly appreciated!! I have 2 - 3 days to make up my mind...
Attachments
G.jpg
F.jpg
E.jpg
D.jpg
C.jpg
B.jpg
A.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: What is right on this HMV

Post by soundgen »

As far as I can see the only thing that isn't right is the soundbox ! What is the horn made of if not brass which is badly tarnished ? How much have you got to pay for it ? £200 it's a bargain , you need to let every one have some more to go on

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That looks like the paper mache horn to me - usually finished in a gloss black but sometimes decorated.

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

The owner says its wood - here's a closeup of the fringe which somehow looks more like papier mache than wood?
Attachments
6.jpg

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

That's paper mache, for certain.

Sean

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The crank is also wrong. It should be a slotted flat bar crank like you see on the early Victor E, M, ans MS. You can get originals or reproductions from Ron Sitko.
Harvey Kravitz

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

How much are you being asked for it ? That's the most important thing , to know whether you should buy it or not !

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

AS others have said already, that is definitely a papier mache horn and a very very very very very very rare one at that! Whatever the seller is asking for the machine it isn't enough. Yes, of course buy it for THAT horn alone!!!

I have seen ONE other example of this horn in 25 years and it was sold by Christies, South Kensington back in the early 1990's or it might have even been at Phillips of Bayswater.

As for the rest of the machine, the case appears to be stripped with new transfer? It looks very "dry" and flat without much colour or sheen anyway! I'm a bit suspicious of the cabinet. According to a well known expert, the fluted corners should always indicate the triple-spring motor. The single / double spring variants normally have plain rounded columns on the corners? The bright-work has been re-plated, I would think and the winding handle looks odd and is definitely wrong. I'm not convinced about it overall - it has the distinct look of an assembled-by-the-trade machine. Apart from the winder, soundbox and possibly elbow, all the parts appear to be G & T / HMV though.

BUT, that horn most definitely is an HMV collectors' dream! You MUST buy it for that alone! Price becomes unimportant with this kind of super rarity.

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

I will certainly buy the machine if I can. And get back here with more pictures of it and the story! Most certainly I will need advice on how to handle or possibly restore the horn..

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Transfer is a repro horn decal I guess

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HMV-HIS-MAS ... 3f2448a746