Unusual HMV 100 Portable

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Unusual HMV 100 Portable

Post by epigramophone »

Neither the Cooper nor the Oakley/Proudfoot books mention the variations in the record pocket sides, but in the CLPGS Member's Auction in October 2017 there were no less than three HMV100's.

The first two were the usual version and sold for £95 and £110 respectively, but the third was described as an "early version with some unusual features" and sold for £120. Not being in the market for an HMV100 I did not pay them much attention, and cannot remember what the "unusual features" were.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote:I didn't understand the comments about 'The clip holding the crook and soundbox' - but include a photo below in case this indicates new or old parts stock.

So, mine appears to be partly old parts and partly new parts ?
Yours seems to have the earlier motor and turntable, (with the felt going right up to the edge) but the rest seems to be all from the "later" model". The cabinet catch is the same on both versions, and the clip I was referring to can be seen in the first of my photos (above). It's an earlier version of the one in the last of your photos, and is somewhat cumbersome and fragile. It was snapped off on my machine, but I knew it was the earlier version that should be fitted, due to the absence of the protruding pin in the "U" part of the arm. A kind fellow collector supplied me with details and photos of the original version, and I managed to make it from a piece of mainspring. I'd ideally like an original, but the likelihood of one turning up is negligible.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote:
poodling around wrote:I didn't understand the comments about 'The clip holding the crook and soundbox' - but include a photo below in case this indicates new or old parts stock.

Yours seems to have the earlier motor and turntable, (with the felt going right up to the edge) but the rest seems to be all from the "later" model". The cabinet catch is the same on both versions, and the clip I was referring to can be seen in the first of my photos (above). It's an earlier version of the one in the last of your photos, and is somewhat cumbersome and fragile. It was snapped off on my machine, but I knew it was the earlier version that should be fitted, due to the absence of the protruding pin in the "U" part of the arm. A kind fellow collector supplied me with details and photos of the original version, and I managed to make it from a piece of mainspring. I'd ideally like an original, but the likelihood of one turning up is negligible.
Thank you very much for the information and clarification Phono48. Most interesting.

Perhaps it was a matter of HMV building machines from components which were readily available at the time.

Oh, I saw this photo of an 'early' 100 and 'later' 100 side by side and thought that the cabinet catches may have been different - with the catch on mine being shown in the photo on the earlier one on the right hand side ?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 3600bb832c
Attachments
100hmv.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote:

Oh, I have just seen this advert which seems to show an early left hand side lid latch model with a later record storage lid container which also seems also to have a concertina 'flap'. It is all a bit odd maybe.

https://grammophon-platten.de/e107_file ... 000014.jpg
Attachments
100advert.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The lid catch on the left hand machine has suspiciously bright screws, which may indicate that the catch has been replaced with the later and larger version?