The Three Muses repeating gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: The Three Muses repeating gramophone

Post by epigramophone »

Resurrecting this thread, here is an advert for their "Tremusa" soundbox. The reference to the British Empire Exhibition dates it to 1924.

I wonder whether the "Everplay" needle performed as claimed. I doubt it, and I have never seen one.
Attachments
Tremusa.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Resurrecting an old thread - I've been able to buy a Three Muses / Tremusa soundbox relatively inexpensively and am waiting for it to arrive.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Orchorsol wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:47 am Resurrecting an old thread - I've been able to buy a Three Muses / Tremusa soundbox relatively inexpensively and am waiting for it to arrive.
I have a Three Muses soundbox - but am a bit puzzled by the 'reverse side' where it fits onto the tone-arm. Maybe I am missing a rubber ring ?

Did yours arrive and if so would it be possible to see photo's of the front and back please ?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This is definitely one of the strangest designed machines I have seen... Apparently designed by Rube Goldberg...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The Everplay needles.... aren't they those needles with a brass shank and a roll of tungsten wire inside? They have a star shaped screw with which you control the amount of wire protruding at the needle point...
With images in the forum, by Roaring20s:
viewtopic.php?p=290094#p290094
Inigo

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

poodling around wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:02 pm
Orchorsol wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:47 am Resurrecting an old thread - I've been able to buy a Three Muses / Tremusa soundbox relatively inexpensively and am waiting for it to arrive.
I have a Three Muses soundbox - but am a bit puzzled by the 'reverse side' where it fits onto the tone-arm. Maybe I am missing a rubber ring ?

Did yours arrive and if so would it be possible to see photo's of the front and back please ?
I'm not sure whether mine is missing some kind of insert on the back. I've used a piece of soft silicone rubber sponge for fitting it onto a tonearm.

I can't get it to perform well, but at least one of the two little metal spring-plates that form the suspension at the needle bar pivot is missing and replaced with something else. I'd appreciate a photo from anyone showing what should be there...
Attachments
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4248.JPG
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Orchorsol wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:50 am
poodling around wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:02 pm

I'm not sure whether mine is missing some kind of insert on the back. I've used a piece of soft silicone rubber sponge for fitting it onto a tonearm.

I can't get it to perform well, but at least one of the two little metal spring-plates that form the suspension at the needle bar pivot is missing and replaced with something else. I'd appreciate a photo from anyone showing what should be there...
Thank you very much Orchorsol and very interesting indeed.

I suppose that it is a natural place to have a rubber fitting but it is perhaps strange that we both seem to be missing that bit. Maybe the tonearm was a special size / fit and unique to this company ? The advertisements for the soundbox do seem to state that it can be used on any gramophone though ?

Incidentally, I have often thought about buying those very inexpensive 'home brewery' bungs from ebay and cutting those to size. They 'slant' in a trifle but maybe could work ? Your silicone one looks good how-ever.

Anyway, I digress.

Here are photograph's of mine - it would be great to know any thoughts you have about this entire matter.
Attachments
tm3.jpg
tm2.jpg
tm1.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Great, thanks very much for your photos too! Do those dished inserts and their square "washers" seem to be made of some kind of fibrous and/or resinous substance?

Andy