Victor I

Re: when is one full!?

Post by n2wheelies »

wow. thats impressive stacking!! :hail

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

Gramtastic wrote:Tino, you still have plenty of room in the picture ! Here's how I get over 100 machines in a small loft room !! (and I can still play almost all of them without too much trouble)

i have over 100 machines as well not as much big external horn machines dough my machines consists more of portables, cylinder phono's like edisons, columbia, and french, german, and swiss reversable cylinder phono's, tabletops, some external horn machines, a wood excelsior dictaphone, and home and trench builds of wwi and wwii as well now 3 1920s radios (room with the radio's is not my room)
yes i have become very good at stacking stuff out of the way!

the video's where i show my new found radio's are on my facebook page (tino van der zwan facebook)

tino

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Tino,
My work shop is starting to look like your place!
Pete
Attachments
005.JPG
004 (2).JPG
003 (3).JPG
002 (4).JPG
001 (4).JPG

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Pete, looks perfectly normal to me. :D

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

flashpanblue wrote:Hi Tino,
My work shop is starting to look like your place!
Pete

well the place with the radio's isn't mine the attic scene with all the phono's is
i'm still looking for radio horns but i'm patient they will come my way one day the only thing missing in a lot of casses is the dirty word...MONEY! :shock: :roll:

nice collection pete!

tino

Panatropia
Victor II
Personal Text: Forum Fairy....

Post by Panatropia »

All this talk of hoarding (I'm guilty as well) gave me a bittersweet reverie. We can only enjoy these objects for a finite period.
However, as we pop off and our stuff is liquidated, perhaps the prices will be driven lower so more young folks can afford this hobby. Not that I'm in any rush for that, mind you :D

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Panatropia wrote:However, as we pop off and our stuff is liquidated, perhaps the prices will be driven lower so more young folks can afford this hobby.
I don't think it will ever happen, even though it sounds logical at first. I've seen the eldest people who lived through the golden days of the phonograph pass away, and lately also the big collectors of the subsequent generation - those that "remembered their parents playing their old Victrola out on the porch" - began to meet the reaper at a worrying pace. In all cases, I've never seen such a thing as a significant price drop, or machines that were rare getting easier to find all of a sudden.

I've only seen prices growing up constantly, and at a rate which is significantly faster than my working career. There are some scarce and expensive machines that I would like to own and enjoy before my turn to meet the reaper comes, and every time that I saved a conspicuous amount of money for this hobby and I went out seeking for them, their price was (and is) inflated up to a point that once again I can't afford them, exactly like the time before. Just like running after the rabbit in a dog race.

And go figure what will happen as soon as the buying market will broaden to - say - Chinese multimillionaires, or in the future to Brazilian or African tycoons turned into gramophone collectors. Gramophones are generally not available in their countries, so they will be sucked from USA, Europe and partly from India. The prices will rocket up to the stars. (I will say a MEA CULPA here as 95% of collected gramophones in Italy are imported for the very same reasons, but Italians in general have such a low money availability that they don't really bother any serious international collector).

The only significant thing that shuffled the cards a bit in the last decades was the advent of the internet and online auctions, but I wouldn't speak of a general price fall. More precisely, a restricted group of machines which value was grossly overestimated, or considered more scarce than they actually were, have been reappraised and put in correct perspective. But this happened in all fields: also in model trains collection, philately etc. However, recently most on-line auctions have been replaced by buy-it-now fixed prices, insanely overinflated in almost all cases.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: The only significant thing that shuffled the cards a bit in the last decades was the advent of the internet and online auctions, but I wouldn't speak of a general price fall. More precisely, a restricted group of machines which value was grossly overestimated, or considered more scarce than they actually were, have been reappraised and put in correct perspective.
You're right, the democratization of information that internet provided reduced drastically the discrepancies and helped the market to focus on what is really "desirable", driving prices accordingly. Note that I wrote "desirable", not "rare": many phonographs and gramophones are "rare" but don't command high prices. Conversely, some others, like the conspicuous portable HMV102, exist in the tens of thousands, and remain "desirable" and therefore expensive (for portables). Like Glenn Miller records, or as discussed elsewhere in this forum, recordings of "Charleston".

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

With the way my apartment is the situation is that if I get one thing I'd have to get rid of something else.There's a Brunswick oak upright in my town that I'm interested in at the local antique center. It's not on the floor yet,and the spring needs repair.I want to talk to the owner of the center about it.I have a Brunswick console that's in working order that I'd like to part with to put toward the oak upright.I told the owner's son that I was interested in it.edisonplayer

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I don't buy anymore machines, I am satisfied with the ones that I have. I have many great records, and honestly probably enough of them to enjoy for a lifetime. In recent months, I have mostly purchased cylinders that I really am looking for with some significance. This year I was able to get the entire set of 3 BA's of Teddy Roosevelt's speeches. I also purchase new records from Norman at Berlin Phonograph Works, Vulcan Cylinders and Edisonia records as they are released. As far as discs I was able to obtain the two Rachmaninoff recordings released by Edison.

I think in doing so, I can just focus on what I really like than hoard a room full of miscellaneous machines and records.