HMV 102 questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Columbia78
Victor I

HMV 102 questions

Post by Columbia78 »

I have a few questions about the HMV 102 I just found, and I'd appreciate any help I might find here. This particular machine came from Cheltenham England, and has a Dale Forty nameplate. It has the serial number 1020 63326 on a circular plate under the platter on the top board. There is also a 6 digit number that appears to be stamped into the wood just above that plate, some of the digits are hard to read. It came with a No. 16 soundbox, which appears to be original to the machine. One of the pins that secures the record holder has come off, and probably once I remove the motor board I will find that stud it was attached to inside somewhere, maybe not. The brown felt on the turntable and record holder appears to be original and in good shape, but has pulled up on one side and I will need to glue that back down with something appropriate, hopefully someone can advise on that.

I am unsure of whether the auto brake is working, I wound and ran the motor and it's running too slow, with a bit of a dragging sound at times. I'm sure it is long overdue for lubrication.

Can someone advise me on the approximate date this was manufactured? I'm sure it was early 1930's from the no. 16 soundbox. And how can I get this blasted lid stay to release?

I appreciate any help. I'm a Columbia guy, and have never seen an HMV 102 before but have always lusted after one. This machine appears to have seen very little use and hopefully I can get it working well at some point.
Attachments
P1200840.JPG
P1200837.JPG
P1200836.JPG

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: HMV 102 questions

Post by Victrolacollector »

Hi:

I also recently purchased a HMV 102, and will say its the best portable that I have ever owned. Mine has the HMV 5a Soundbox.

From what I understand the 5a soundbox that I have is very prone to swelling and breaking of the back. The one that you have is not serviceable, the No. 16 is supposedly sealed. I figure as long as it sounds great..just leave it.

I am curious to know how much you paid for your machine? It does look nice.

I paid roughly $500.00 for mine (includes shipping from the U.K.), I think its the best deal in Ortho type portables.

I have owned a Columbia 163 (way too heavy and underpowered flyer motor), VV 2-55 (pot metal back bracket is too fragile and the crazy auto stop kept triggering, the cases are fabrikoid, and mine had splits; I have seen some with that ugly brown gold paint and they are prone to stinking if they sat in a basement). I have owned a Edison P-1, suprisingly a nice machine, mine sounded great, however the pot metal reproducers are so prone to cracking, and the flyer motor is also underpowered).

All the best,

Jerry P.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Hi Jerry,

I paid about $240 for mine, including shipping from the UK. I think I got a good deal. It remains to be seen what I need to do to get it working properly. I'm going to open it up and oil all the appropriate parts tomorrow and see how it does. I must admit, I have also ordered a 5B soundbox from the UK because I've always wanted one. We shall see how much better it sounds than the no.16. This is my first HMV, and I've always wanted one, but they are scarce here in the US. My favorites have been my Columbia Viva Tonal 160, a Japanese Columbia (Nipponophone), and two nice Telefunken portables from the late 30's.

This HMV 102 seems to have had very little use, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds.
Attachments
P1200849.JPG

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Your 102 looks to be in amazing condition cosmetically. I am just slightly jealous. :mrgreen: I have heard so many good things about them that getting one is on my "bucket list."

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Looking through Dave Cooper's book (isbn 1872727492), the 102 was sold from 1931 to 1960. The earliest ones had the No 16 soundbox and then later the 5a and 5b. The lid stay is a "sprung catch" meaning it stays up at any angle. The model numbers ran from 102A to 102H (F and G not used in Britain). For Reference the 102D is 1946 (Cooper pg 66).

The prices of these have gone up over the past ten years. In 2005 I bought my green 102 for about $100, and a Electrola C106 (similar to the 101) for under $100. On my 102 sometimes the auto brake works and sometimes is doesn't, that's just the way it is.

Overall, the 102 is definitely a well designed machine.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Your 102 will date from around 1933, when the model went from metal motor boards to wood, and before 1936, as this is when the rectangular information plate with the model and serial number replaced the circular version.

The lid stay doesn't "release" as such, you just pull the lid down, and the stay goes down into it's spring loaded bracket.

What seems to be wrong with the autobrake? As long as the handbrake is off, and the auto brake lever is set to "on", there is very little to go wrong. Just be happy you don't have the first 102 version, the autobrake on that is very hit and miss, and is the devils' own job to adjust!

These 102s are, in my opinion, the best portable machines that were made, I have eleven, in various colours and versions and still can't find a brown one!

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Phono48 wrote:Your 102 will date from around 1933, when the model went from metal motor boards to wood, and before 1936, as this is when the rectangular information plate with the model and serial number replaced the circular version.

The lid stay doesn't "release" as such, you just pull the lid down, and the stay goes down into it's spring loaded bracket.

What seems to be wrong with the autobrake? As long as the handbrake is off, and the auto brake lever is set to "on", there is very little to go wrong. Just be happy you don't have the first 102 version, the autobrake on that is very hit and miss, and is the devils' own job to adjust!

These 102s are, in my opinion, the best portable machines that were made, I have eleven, in various colours and versions and still can't find a brown one!
I opened it up and oiled all the likely spots I could find, as per the lubrication chart. I successfully got it to play a record with and without the autobrake, but now when I play a record the governor seems erratic, slows down during play. The autobrake also seems a little fussy, at first it worked well now I noticed that it stopped a disc too early. I can see I'm not done with the tinkering yet. I also noticed that the needle angle on the no 16 is slightly off, not completely perpendicular to the record as it should be. Hmmmm...

Here is a test play for the brief moment it worked right (but without the autobrake).
https://youtu.be/9fhez1Ucxp0

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

With an acoustic phonograph, if the needle were completely perpendicular with the record there would be a serious problem. It should sit at about 45 degrees.

http://www.antiquephono.org/basic-antiq ... onal-tips/

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

FloridaClay wrote:With an acoustic phonograph, if the needle were completely perpendicular with the record there would be a serious problem. It should sit at about 45 degrees.

http://www.antiquephono.org/basic-antiq ... onal-tips/

Clay
Okay, so I didn't mean perpendicular. I mean it leans slightly to the side. Points slightly to the direction of the label. I DO know how it's supposed to be pointing.

Thanks---

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The first thing to say is that the soundbox position in relation to the record looks perfect to me. The No.16 soundbox does hold some needles, particularly soft-tone ones at a peculiar angle. There is nothing that can be done, that's the design of the thing.

What happens when you play the machine with the autobrake on? Take the turntable off and look carefully at the autobrake mechanism. Are there any traces of oil on it? If there are then this may be the source of the trouble as no part of it should be oiled or greased. The brake works on friction alone.

I notice that half the arm retaining clip at the back of the motorboard is missing. There should be another similar plate which uses the same two holes, but is formed so as to make a rounded clip which holds the arm securely. Without it the arm may well slip out when the machine is carried and cause damage to the soundbox.