HMV 102 questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
shoshani
Victor I

Re: HMV 102 questions

Post by shoshani »

I just received a 102D I bought on eBay. Did some minor adjustments; I probably should send the motorboard to someone for cleaning/lubricating the spring. (Is there anyone in the US who can do this with HMV portables?) It makes this...purring sound when running, but I doubt it's supposed to.

I have a 5B soundbox coming from South Africa, supposedly NOS. In the meantime, I've retrofitted an Orthophonic flange and brass ring into a brass-backed No.4 soundbox (and by retrofitted, I mean very slowly and gently tapped it in place with a rubber mallet, because the rubber flange is just a hair's breadth larger than the flange receiver on the soundbox!) I don't know whether it's the soundbox or not, but with medium tone needles this machine is VERY SUPER LOUD. After posting this, I'm probably going to invest in some soft tone needles.

One adjustment I'm going to have to make, if I can figure out how, is probably also going to involve removing the motorboard: the turntable is too fast, even on the slowest setting. It's possible something under the turntable is out of kilter (the auto brake was disengaged from its moorings, and the hardened rubber disc at the end of the projecting arm has gouged a nice arc in the motorboard surface); I'm still learning the fine points of the works, partially by observation and partially through Google.

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

shoshani wrote:I just received a 102D I bought on eBay. Did some minor adjustments; I probably should send the motorboard to someone for cleaning/lubricating the spring. (Is there anyone in the US who can do this with HMV portables?) It makes this...purring sound when running, but I doubt it's supposed to.

I have a 5B soundbox coming from South Africa, supposedly NOS. In the meantime, I've retrofitted an Orthophonic flange and brass ring into a brass-backed No.4 soundbox (and by retrofitted, I mean very slowly and gently tapped it in place with a rubber mallet, because the rubber flange is just a hair's breadth larger than the flange receiver on the soundbox!) I don't know whether it's the soundbox or not, but with medium tone needles this machine is VERY SUPER LOUD. After posting this, I'm probably going to invest in some soft tone needles.

One adjustment I'm going to have to make, if I can figure out how, is probably also going to involve removing the motorboard: the turntable is too fast, even on the slowest setting. It's possible something under the turntable is out of kilter (the auto brake was disengaged from its moorings, and the hardened rubber disc at the end of the projecting arm has gouged a nice arc in the motorboard surface); I'm still learning the fine points of the works, partially by observation and partially through Google.
Update: I managed to get the speed adjusted after learning about the sliding plate held with screws below the turntable. That was an adventure; that thing is like a finely tuned watch. I figured out how the automatic brake works, and by heck it *does*. The manual brake needs its business material replaced (and I can't tell whether that's leather, some compressed fibrous material, or what, nor do I know how to remove it and replace it.)

The motor still makes this high pitched chitter, like a purr but at high frequency. I know something should be done about that, I just don't know what.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

All HMV motors make the same purring noise, like a "ffrrr". It shouldn't be loud enough to bother you, though. I agree about adjusting the speed control, it can be a real pain. I have a small stroboscope glued to a piece of card about the size of a record label. With the turntable off, the disc sits on the centre spindle, held on by the turntable circlip. That way, the speed can be adjusted without having to keep replacing the turntable every few seconds to test.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

You described this noise in different ways. It was a "purr" at first (perfectly normal), it becomes a "high pitched noise" (not normal) later. How is this noise like, at last?

In any case, "lubricating the spring" won't solve this issue by any means. More probably, the governor (and the motor gears in general) needs to be lubricated. That's not a difficult task: you can do it by yourself if you have a bit of manual dexterity.

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:You described this noise in different ways. It was a "purr" at first (perfectly normal), it becomes a "high pitched noise" (not normal) later. How is this noise like, at last?

In any case, "lubricating the spring" won't solve this issue by any means. More probably, the governor (and the motor gears in general) needs to be lubricated. That's not a difficult task: you can do it by yourself if you have a bit of manual dexterity.
It was very high pitched at first; I posted video to the Antique Phonographs Enthusiasts group on Facebook, and a member suggested I oil the pad that rubs against the governor. I did that, and now it's a soft purr again. I'm told this is standard for HMV machines.