HMV 102 questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SteveM
Victor II

Re: HMV 102 questions

Post by SteveM »

There probably a pretty good chance your spring barrel still has 80-year-old grease in it, which has turned to complete sludge. A re-grease isn't too bad of a job. I think there's a thread here somewhere that details the process.

One of my 102s had similar issues as yours. When I cracked the barrel I could not believe it had even been able to move at all, it was so gunked up. Poor thing.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Phono48 wrote:The first thing to say is that the soundbox position in relation to the record looks perfect to me. The No.16 soundbox does hold some needles, particularly soft-tone ones at a peculiar angle. There is nothing that can be done, that's the design of the thing.

What happens when you play the machine with the autobrake on? Take the turntable off and look carefully at the autobrake mechanism. Are there any traces of oil on it? If there are then this may be the source of the trouble as no part of it should be oiled or greased. The brake works on friction alone.

I notice that half the arm retaining clip at the back of the motorboard is missing. There should be another similar plate which uses the same two holes, but is formed so as to make a rounded clip which holds the arm securely. Without it the arm may well slip out when the machine is carried and cause damage to the soundbox.
Thank you! You've solved two mysteries then. I was using soft needles, perhaps I should try some louder ones. I also jostled the case a little while I was working on removing the motor board and out rolled this little metal piece from inside the horn! The rest of the retaining clip. I'm not sure if it broke off cleanly or came loose somehow. Not having seen one intact I'm not sure. Maybe I can find a replacement somewhere. This machine came from England to the US via Ebay's Global shipping program, which has the package changing hands multiple times to different carriers. I was afraid it would suffer harm from rough handling, although it seemed to arrive intact.
Attachments
PE248880.JPG

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

I decided to run it through a number of times fully winding and unwinding the spring each taim, and turned the autobrake back on, and now, as if by magic, it seems to be working...

https://youtu.be/JFxBAxGIGpw

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

It sounds really good!

And I see what you mean about the odd needle tilt.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

FloridaClay wrote:It sounds really good!

And I see what you mean about the odd needle tilt.

Clay
Thanks!

I think it sounds about as good as my Japanese Columbia, which is a compliment. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds with the 5b when it gets here. I had assumed the no 16 would need upgrading. Maybe not though...

Jim

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Columbia78 wrote: I was using soft needles, perhaps I should try some louder ones.

No need to change your choice of needles, the odd angle won't harm your records, and besides, the No. 16 soundboxes are quite loud enough, without adding louder tone needles!

As for the arm clip, a replacement shouldn't be hard to find, but if you are desperate, I can let you have one, but it has some rust, and really need re-plating.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Phono48 wrote:
Columbia78 wrote: I was using soft needles, perhaps I should try some louder ones.

No need to change your choice of needles, the odd angle won't harm your records, and besides, the No. 16 soundboxes are quite loud enough, without adding louder tone needles!

As for the arm clip, a replacement shouldn't be hard to find, but if you are desperate, I can let you have one, but it has some rust, and really need re-plating.
I am certainly interested! I have my eye on one on uk ebay, but there's no guarantee I'll win it. I notice that the sharp remaning edge on my half clip has scratched and marred the tonearm, unfortunately, probably bouncing around during shipping. I'm going to have to be extra careful with it until I can get a proper clip for it.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

It does sound really nice! The mesh on those looks cool, and at any rate, I guess it helps keep the dirt out! Hey what camera are you using there, if I may ask?
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

SteveM wrote:It does sound really nice! The mesh on those looks cool, and at any rate, I guess it helps keep the dirt out! Hey what camera are you using there, if I may ask?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 Lens

I've tried a bunch of different camera and lens combinations for these videos and this seems to be the best combination for me, the audio is straight from the onboard camera mic.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

https://youtu.be/xZNzBXOr4bQ

I actually got a 5b soundbox for this, thinking the no 16 would be no good and unrepairable. The no. 16 sound much better than the 5b does. That's not to say the 5b I have might not need tuning up, but as it stands now, it isn't even close. The link is to another record played with the no 16.