La Voix de Son Maitre 4047 Reproducer ID

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Bad_Photographer
Victor Jr

La Voix de Son Maitre 4047 Reproducer ID

Post by Bad_Photographer »

Hello to the group!

Hoping someone can identify the Orthophonic reproducer on my La Voix de Son Maitre (Pathé', HMV Licensee) 4047. The HMV 101/102s featured the 5a and 5b, and some of the older models featured the dreaded No 16. The cover on this reproducer is typical of later 4047s. The tone this produces is incredible. I suppose I could assume it's a 5 series with a cover made especially for the French 4047, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Attachments
DSC_0943.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: La Voix de Son Maitre 4047 Reproducer ID

Post by soundgen »

It looks like the Pathé version of the HMV No. 23/Columbia No. 24 soundboxes , I assume it says Pathé on the back plate ? see this link http://www.graham-ophones.co.uk/hmvcolumbia/4586468626 home page http://www.graham-ophones.co.uk

Bad_Photographer
Victor Jr

There is no marking of any kind on the backplate, which is black. Two more views of this portable.
Attachments
DSC_0949.jpg
DSC_0940.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Same machine, different soundbox. No markings on it, but I agree that it's the Pathé version of the HMV 23.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Phono48 wrote:Same machine, different soundbox. No markings on it, but I agree that it's the Pathé version of the HMV 23.
That soundbox can have a "nipper " insert , a " Magic Notes " insert and even an " Odeon " insert , the HMV soundboxes are usually unmarked on the back , the Columbia usually says Columbia and the only Odeon I have ever had said Odeon in the back plate moulding

Bad_Photographer
Victor Jr

Phono48: I love the red case! Ok, agree with both of you. They sure sound nice, don't they? I haven't begun cleaning mine up yet. I'm going to start with the corner guards. If I can get the rust cleaned off of them (it's very light - I have naval jelly for the task), I'll spray them flat silver or flat black - I've seen a guy's renovation in which he sprayed the corner guards flat black and it's very attractive. I'm hesitant to do anything other than simply clean the tone arm and reproducer - they're in wonderful shape other than swirl marks and a dirty haze.

Bad_Photographer
Victor Jr

Phono48: Does yours carry the Pathé' logo in the lid? I've seen a few online that do - mine does not. I'm under the impression that Pathé dropped the line and HMV produced these for the French market direct under the "...Son Maitre" line after a certain date, which means mine may not be a Pathé at all, but an HMV direct.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Bad_Photographer wrote:Phono48: Does yours carry the Pathé' logo in the lid? I've seen a few online that do - mine does not. I'm under the impression that Pathé dropped the line and HMV produced these for the French market direct under the "...Son Maitre" line after a certain date, which means mine may not be a Pathé at all, but an HMV direct.
Pathé ceased to exist as a manufacturer in the end of 20's and the brand got sold to what become EMI (Columbia + HMV), and in France they usually sold their machines as Pathé-Marconi, or Pathé Olotonal. These machines had nothing in common with the ones made when the brothers Pathé owned the factory, and like the ones shown above were a mix of parts from Columbia and HMV.

Bad_Photographer
Victor Jr

Right - so "Pathé-Marconi" were licensed to use the Pathé trademark and logo, but otherwise, Pathé was dead for all intents and purposes. Ok - great answer, thanks! So Victor (or by this time, RCA Victor) had no issue with EMI using their parts and the Nipper logo mixed with Columbia (the competition) parts? Interesting, seeing as how Columbia as CBS and RCA as NBC were fierce radio competitors.

Curiously, if you've ever listened to the D-Day "all day" broadcasts from CBS and NBC, on that day, they shared a lot of info and commentary from one another's journalists and commentators.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Here's a better view of mine, (the turntable is temporarily missing, its being re-plated) No Pathé trade mark in the lid, just the usuual HMV.

Barry