Is This A Brass Mammut Coin-Op Horn?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Is This A Brass Mammut Coin-Op Horn?

Post by Garret »

All,

I posted a thread in the Machines section of the forum about a friend's a Pathé Concert A, and it turns out the horn now with that particular example is not original to the machine. Some other collectors speculated that this horn might be Indian in origin, however, the quality of the metal work seems to exclude that possibility. It then occurred to me that the horn might be from a Mammut Coin Operated gramophone. Does the horn in the picture below look like it could have been from a Mammut gramophone? It has eleven panels on the bell, and seems to have the same shape as the Mammut horn, except that the bell is all brass, instead of being painted steel. What do you think?

Thanks!

Garret

Panatropia
Victor II
Personal Text: Forum Fairy....

Re: Is This A Brass Mammut Coin-Op Horn?

Post by Panatropia »

I've seen that type and shape horn on Maestrophone, Mammut, Odeon and Pathé' machines. I don't know whether it was restricted to one or two manufacturers, or perhaps simply a proprietary horn available for a wide range of machines which perhaps promised more volume. I lean toward the latter.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 2323 times

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The horn of my German coin-op has also eleven panels, but it is made of tin, not brass. and has a support rod in the curve on the back.

Panatropia
Victor II

Post by Panatropia »

Like this?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.16 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

I believe the horn is of German origin and has nothing to do with Maestrophone (Paillard) Swiss made machines. If a horn like this is on such a machine...it is incorrect.

That said, a friend in Europe has a massive horn like this cobbled onto his hot air machine.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Panatropia wrote:Like this?
Yes, the shape of the horn and the back support bracket look the same, although my horn was repainted.

Panatropia
Victor II

Post by Panatropia »

European pressed steel horns have always fascinated me. While there are many types, there are a few recognizable variations one encounters often. The multi-hued colors, shading and striping are a source of admiration as well.
The similarities in shape mentioned above prompts me to wonder about their manufacture. Did certain Marques produce their own in house? Were they of proprietary manufacture and bought as needed?

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

This horn would be suitable on my Mammut! There were choices of styles.
Attachments
mammut2.jpg