French Ideal Machine Discography / Machine Listing

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
GeorgeDixon
Victor I

French Ideal Machine Discography / Machine Listing

Post by GeorgeDixon »

I am looking for specific details (serial no, other markings, shapes, sizes) for the French Ideal Machine.

The earliest Ideals were actually called the "Lamaziere No. 2" after its creator, Louis Lamaziere.
A similar, earlier edition was identified as the Zenith.
Post Zenith you would have the Ideal No. 2, then the No. 3 and then No. 4 (which is a mixed disc/cylinder machine).
A good portion of the 2's and most 3's were sold in connection to or by Bonne Presse.

The Ideal changed significantly throughout its production in early 1900.
A good portion of the machines have a significant item that is not on other machines.
Unlike Edison, Columbia and Pathé, whose models were both mass produced and generally standardized,
the Ideal's appear to have been made in batches and have variances between themselves.

I would like to see if anyone here in the forum has one and would be willing to complete a short questionnaire and submit some photos for my research.

I have attached some photos of the early Zenith and the Ideal No. 2.

Thanks, Ben
Attachments
IMG_20160305_164824389.jpg
IMG_20160305_164807090.jpg
IMG_20160221_132903466.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: French Ideal Machine Discography / Machine Listing

Post by epigramophone »

I cannot help with specific details, but "The Illustrated History of Phonographs" by Daniel Marty illustrates and describes two models from Ideal-Phonographe. One is said to date from 1900 and the other from 1902.

It seems that the Ideal's main feature of interest was a moveable mandrel which allowed cylinders of all diameters to be played by placing them at varying distances from the reproducer.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Lovely phonographs. Can we have some more pictures of the reproducer and the weight accessory.
Thanks

GeorgeDixon
Victor I

Post by GeorgeDixon »

chunnybh wrote:Lovely phonographs. Can we have some more pictures of the reproducer and the weight accessory.
Thanks
The proper reproducer is the Le Cahit. Here are photos of the Styx concert reproducer, which for all purposes is the same. A lead piece (not pictured) can be added to the base for additional weight.

The machines are well built with superior materials. Same workshop that built Bettini parts and pieces. Almost every piece is nickel plated or brass.
Attachments
DSCN6585.jpg
DSCN6585.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
DSCN6586.jpg
DSCN6586.jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 3603 times
DSCN6587.jpg
DSCN6587.jpg (69.5 KiB) Viewed 3603 times

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Love the Le Styx reproducer, sure is a beauty. Also that's a nice Pink Lambert Concert Cylinder and sure looks familiar and the machines are stunning.

Rich Gordon

GeorgeDixon
Victor I

Post by GeorgeDixon »

rgordon939 wrote:Love the Le Styx reproducer, sure is a beauty. Also that's a nice Pink Lambert Concert Cylinder and sure looks familiar and the machines are stunning.

Rich Gordon
Thanks Rich, yes, that is your pink concert!

Here are a few photos of another, with the all important crank (usually missing) and all important concert mandrel, also missing more than not.
Attachments
Idéal #5.jpg
Idéal #3.jpg
Idéal #2.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Here's a photo of a small machine I purchased at our recent OTAPS meeting. The reproducer is marked "Le Styx." There is a little drawer on the back side of the cabinet that appears to be for coins. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Attachments
tempImageRyzEZR.gif

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Jerry B. wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:31 pm Here's a photo of a small machine I purchased at our recent OTAPS meeting. The reproducer is marked "Le Styx." There is a little drawer on the back side of the cabinet that appears to be for coins. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Lovely phonograph indeed !

I don't have one (yet) but if I did then I really do like the chrome / stainless steel 'look' and would 'go for that'.

I can't help with information but the one on youtube (below) seems similar maybe.

Great buy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lma-pnZo2kM