What HMV Model and Which Motor?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

What HMV Model and Which Motor?

Post by Garret »

Can anyone tell which HMV model gramophone this is, and what motor it once had? I can't access my copy of Proudfoot's book. Asking for someone who is convinced the original motor is electric. It's not a 160 or 161, based upon the corner carvings. :roll:

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: What HMV Model and Which Motor?

Post by CarlosV »

Looks like a model 12

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

An electric motor was not an option on the Model 12, but this example could have been re-motored at some time in it's life.
Pictures of the cabinet sides would settle the matter by showing whether there was evidence of a winding handle.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Judging by the tone-arm bracket, it's quite early, so probably a 12a (1913-1915). It would originally have had a USA-made Exhibition sound box. Electric motors were not a listed option at that time, though it is just possible (unlikely) that one could have been fitted to special order. The normal motor was triple-soring, but whether it was the 1 ¼-inch spring motor (with horizontal governor) or the 1-inch spring version with sloping governor, I cannot be sure, as the date for the change is as yet undetermined, and may never be, considering the difficulty of establishing any details for the WW1 era. Which was fitted originally could be established by comparing the holes in the motor board (if that is original) and also the position of the winding hole. Note, incidentally that the early examples, such as shown on p.114 of HMG, had a plain round bush for the winder. Could this be what has suggested the possibility of an electric motor to someone?