The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:42 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Hi Folks,

Here are some pics of my latest gramophone!!!

Now there is an interesting story attached to this one and I am still waiting on some details but here is what I have been told....

Apparently the machine was given as a gift by Enrico Caruso to a female German Opera singer (name to follow). Caruso AUTOGRAPHED a card (photo) and that went into the top drawer of the pedestal, where it has remained!

Later in her life the German Opera singer donated the machine to a theatre company who hired props out to the theater an television industry. In the 70's or 80's the machine turned up on a famous German television show (the vision is being burnt to a dvd for me) with a radio horn on it (I also have this). A collector from Germany saw the machine and made contact with the production company and managed to buy it. Now it is mine, Caruso autograph and all!!!


The Melba of course is the bee knees of external horn HMV/G&T gramophones

The machine is in nice original condition. It has an EARLY 3 spring motor (pre dates the bearing motor) and a 12" screw down turntable! (I'm looking for a nice original record clamp).

Anyway here are some pics and I'll include more later on!

Regards,
Mario

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Last edited by mariof on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:46 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 am
Posts: 548
Location: The BRONX / Yankee Stadium
wow, wow. So nice. Amazing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:50 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Contact me for TMF tech support.
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Boston, MA
Mario,

What a wonderful addition to your collection! It appears to be in excellent condition, and is one of the more ornate machines that I’ve seen. The Caruso autograph must be a great bonus, and I imagine that you’re very excited about this machine. :D

Thanks for sharing it with us!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using J-D Strong Consulting, Inc. for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:12 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 999
mariof wrote:
Apparently the machine was given as a gift by Enrico Caruso to a female German Opera singer (name to follow). Caruso AUTOGRAPHED a card (photo) and that went into the top drawer of the pedestal, where it has remained!

When and where did Caruso give it to the opera singer? I am very interested to read the card.

mariof wrote:
The machine is untouched and in really nice original condition.

Strange that the machine bears a late (after 1910) Deutsche Grammophon Exhibition soundbox.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Starkton wrote:
mariof wrote:
Apparently the machine was given as a gift by Enrico Caruso to a female German Opera singer (name to follow). Caruso AUTOGRAPHED a card (photo) and that went into the top drawer of the pedestal, where it has remained!

When and where did Caruso give it to the opera singer? I am very interested to read the card.

mariof wrote:
The machine is untouched and in really nice original condition.

Strange that the machine bears a late (after 1910) Deutsche Grammophon Exhibition soundbox.

The soundbox I am not too familiar with so you may be right. The Caruso card/picture is simply autographed. The Crank has also been replaced. Thanks for the info on the sound box. The machine does also bare a Deutsche Grammophon, with recording angel, dealers plaque so I thought it was correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:44 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 999
mariof wrote:
The soundbox I am not too familiar with so you may be right. The Caruso card/picture is simply autographed. The Crank has also been replaced. Thanks for the info on the sound box. The machine does also bare a Deutsche Grammophon, with recording angel, dealers plaque so I thought it was correct.

A G&T Exhibition soundbox is much more appropriate for a 1904/05 Melba gramophone. Does the plaque name the German dealer and the location? Please show us a photo of the Caruso autographed card.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 pm 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Starkton wrote:
mariof wrote:
The soundbox I am not too familiar with so you may be right. The Caruso card/picture is simply autographed. The Crank has also been replaced. Thanks for the info on the sound box. The machine does also bare a Deutsche Grammophon, with recording angel, dealers plaque so I thought it was correct.

A G&T Exhibition soundbox is much more appropriate for a 1904/05 Melba gramophone. Does the plaque name the German dealer and the location? Please show us a photo of the Caruso autographed card.

As requested!

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:47 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 999
Thank you for showing. The plaque is fairly early because "Actien" is spelled with "c". I would call it a manufacturer's seal, because Ritterstr. 36 is only the location of Deutsche Grammophon Co. in Berlin. D.G. run the shop in Ritterstraße for exhibition purposes and the wholesale trade - no retail.

Unfortunately the photo card is unspecific. Caruso is pictured in younger years. Perhaps we can solve the mystery when you find out the name of the opera singer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:33 am 
Offline
Victor I
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:02 am
Posts: 160
Location: In the land of Pork & Bergman
What a beautiful machine!!
And the story behind it :shock:

Congratulations & thanks for showing it here!
Searching for The Sound


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:56 am 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:51 am
Posts: 361
Mario,

Super machine! Did you find it in Australia or Europe?

Do you have a web page that shows your collection? I suppose you have no space now for your class M. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.