Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal

Post by MordEth »

Sidewinder,

Welcome to The Talking Machine Forum!
Sidewinder wrote:Do you have a web page that shows your collection?
Here is Mario’s phonograph page, which can also be found as a link on his user profile.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Mario,

Congrats on a beautiful machine. If it happens to be in Europe and you need a place to store it for awhile, (a few years) my living room might be the perfect place. Let me know if I can help. :)

Cheers,
Bruce

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to share!

yankmycrank
Victor I

Post by yankmycrank »

What a sensational machine! All it needs is a mauve label Melba record for the turntable <g>.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Another spectacular addition to your collection Mario. Congratulations. Sometimes I feel like Victor's are way boring compared to their European cousins...

Steve

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

Hi All,

Many thanks for the kind comments. I'm very glad to have her. Another really cool thing is that Dame Nellie Melba was born about 20 min from where I live in Melbourne Australia and she also lived about 20 min away. She never actually owned one of these machines as far as we know.

I've included a picture of the very early motor in this machine.

Cheers,
mario

Starkton
Victor IV

Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal

Post by Starkton »

I remembered this older topic when a "Melba" soundbox surfaced in the sale of the Roger Thorne collection today. It is the seldom seen Gramophone & Typewriter Ltd. counterpart to the "No. 10" reproducer for the Victor 6. It went to a floor bidder. Final price including buyers premium was a little more than $4k.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

What a wonderful reproducer. I had no idea there was a UK version made like the #10. It is the same except no metal disc in the center.4K is about the same price as a #10. I would like to know how many other then mine have the case??.
Victor #10.JPG
Victor #10c.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

schweg wrote:Another spectacular addition to your collection Mario. Congratulations. Sometimes I feel like Victor's are way boring compared to their European cousins...

Steve
I also like the HMV machines. I think they are more classy than your typical Victor. I love the cabinet styles. I live near Seattle, WA and I'm only a few hours from Canada. Every so often, they appear in antique shops and yard sales.It's too bad that these machines are under appreciated.
Harvey Kravitz

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

In case Mario takes a look in this old thread: Can you please tell me the serial number at the underside of the gramophone case. Is the number preceded by a sequence of letters (DGAG)? Thank you.