Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
mariof
Victor I

Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal

Post by mariof »

Hi Folks,

Here are some pics of my latest gramophone!!!

Now there is an interesting story attached to this one and I am still waiting on some details but here is what I have been told....

Apparently the machine was given as a gift by Enrico Caruso to a female German Opera singer (name to follow). Caruso AUTOGRAPHED a card (photo) and that went into the top drawer of the pedestal, where it has remained!

Later in her life the German Opera singer donated the machine to a theatre company who hired props out to the theater an television industry. In the 70's or 80's the machine turned up on a famous German television show (the vision is being burnt to a dvd for me) with a radio horn on it (I also have this). A collector from Germany saw the machine and made contact with the production company and managed to buy it. Now it is mine, Caruso autograph and all!!!

The Melba of course is the bee knees of external horn HMV/G&T gramophones

The machine is in nice original condition. It has an EARLY 3 spring motor (pre dates the bearing motor) and a 12" screw down turntable! (I'm looking for a nice original record clamp).

Anyway here are some pics and I'll include more later on!

Regards,
Mario

Last edited by mariof on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

USlakeside
Victor III

Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedestal

Post by USlakeside »

wow, wow. So nice. Amazing!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Mario,

What a wonderful addition to your collection! It appears to be in excellent condition, and is one of the more ornate machines that I’ve seen. The Caruso autograph must be a great bonus, and I imagine that you’re very excited about this machine. :D

Thanks for sharing it with us!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

mariof wrote:Apparently the machine was given as a gift by Enrico Caruso to a female German Opera singer (name to follow). Caruso AUTOGRAPHED a card (photo) and that went into the top drawer of the pedestal, where it has remained!
When and where did Caruso give it to the opera singer? I am very interested to read the card.
mariof wrote:The machine is untouched and in really nice original condition.
Strange that the machine bears a late (after 1910) Deutsche Grammophon Exhibition soundbox.

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

Starkton wrote:
mariof wrote:Apparently the machine was given as a gift by Enrico Caruso to a female German Opera singer (name to follow). Caruso AUTOGRAPHED a card (photo) and that went into the top drawer of the pedestal, where it has remained!
When and where did Caruso give it to the opera singer? I am very interested to read the card.
mariof wrote:The machine is untouched and in really nice original condition.
Strange that the machine bears a late (after 1910) Deutsche Grammophon Exhibition soundbox.
The soundbox I am not too familiar with so you may be right. The Caruso card/picture is simply autographed. The Crank has also been replaced. Thanks for the info on the sound box. The machine does also bare a Deutsche Grammophon, with recording angel, dealers plaque so I thought it was correct.

Starkton
Victor IV

Re: Latest Addition - Melba and Pedistal

Post by Starkton »

mariof wrote: The soundbox I am not too familiar with so you may be right. The Caruso card/picture is simply autographed. The Crank has also been replaced. Thanks for the info on the sound box. The machine does also bare a Deutsche Grammophon, with recording angel, dealers plaque so I thought it was correct.
A G&T Exhibition soundbox is much more appropriate for a 1904/05 Melba gramophone. Does the plaque name the German dealer and the location? Please show us a photo of the Caruso autographed card.

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

Starkton wrote:
mariof wrote:The soundbox I am not too familiar with so you may be right. The Caruso card/picture is simply autographed. The Crank has also been replaced. Thanks for the info on the sound box. The machine does also bare a Deutsche Grammophon, with recording angel, dealers plaque so I thought it was correct.
A G&T Exhibition soundbox is much more appropriate for a 1904/05 Melba gramophone. Does the plaque name the German dealer and the location? Please show us a photo of the Caruso autographed card.
As requested!

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Thank you for showing. The plaque is fairly early because "Actien" is spelled with "c". I would call it a manufacturer's seal, because Ritterstr. 36 is only the location of Deutsche Grammophon Co. in Berlin. D.G. run the shop in Ritterstraße for exhibition purposes and the wholesale trade - no retail.

Unfortunately the photo card is unspecific. Caruso is pictured in younger years. Perhaps we can solve the mystery when you find out the name of the opera singer.

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

What a beautiful machine!!
And the story behind it :shock:

Congratulations & thanks for showing it here!
Searching for The Sound

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Mario,

Super machine! Did you find it in Australia or Europe?

Do you have a web page that shows your collection? I suppose you have no space now for your class M. :lol: