HMV 130 Tabletop... Sorry, 104... I think!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: HMV 130 Tabletop... Sorry, 104... I think!

Post by CarlosV »

Nice job, it looks very good and it has a good sound. If you haven't done it yet, I recommend to replace the reproducer rubber that connects to the arm: the original ones tend to become very hard, and a new supple one will noticeably improve the low frequency response of the machine - and reduce the wear on the disc. Just be careful when doing it, the back side is pot metal - all the HMV 5, 5A and 5B were made of pot metal.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

CarlosV wrote:Nice job, it looks very good and it has a good sound. If you haven't done it yet, I recommend to replace the reproducer rubber that connects to the arm: the original ones tend to become very hard, and a new supple one will noticeably improve the low frequency response of the machine - and reduce the wear on the disc. Just be careful when doing it, the back side is pot metal - all the HMV 5, 5A and 5B were made of pot metal.
I have a 5B for it as well, it seems made of brass. Not so?

Yes, the flange was one of the first things I did. Nothing like supple rubber and a fresh seal!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

gramophone-georg wrote: I have a 5B for it as well, it seems made of brass. Not so?
Pot metal, there is no brass 5B unfortunately... it is a better amalgam than that used by Victor on their 4A and the first orthophonics, so there are plenty of surviving 5A/5B examples in good shape today, like yours. A common flaw however is a chipped-off back around the screws that hold the rubber back, inflicted when trying to unscrew it. It is good that you succeeded to replace the old back rubber, congratulations!

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

CarlosV wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote: I have a 5B for it as well, it seems made of brass. Not so?
Pot metal, there is no brass 5B unfortunately... it is a better amalgam than that used by Victor on their 4A and the first orthophonics, so there are plenty of surviving 5A/5B examples in good shape today, like yours. A common flaw however is a chipped-off back around the screws that hold the rubber back, inflicted when trying to unscrew it. It is good that you succeeded to replace the old back rubber, congratulations!
I thought that with the 5A and B only the back plate was made of pot metal. The front is brass, either nickel or chromium plated.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

bart1927 wrote:
I thought that with the 5A and B only the back plate was made of pot metal. The front is brass, either nickel or chromium plated.
You're correct, only the back is pot metal. I am not sure it is brass, though. The number 5 however is ALL pot metal, front and back.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here are the photos from the eBay posting you were asking for showing your fine machine pre-restoration. These should survive indefinitely and be permanently useful to our members whereas the eBay listing will disappear in due course.

Congratulations on a fine job and a great sound.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg1.jpg
s-l1600.jpg2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg3.jpg
s-l1600.jpg4.jpg
s-l1600.jpg5.jpg
s-l1600.jpg7.jpg
s-l1600.jpg8.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

@emgcr

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out how to do that myself but couldn't get there. I have figured out that the reason I don't understand this online/ digital crap is because I can't wind it up! :roll: ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek