Our Edison Gem Phonograph - a few questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
ChrisM
Victor Jr

Re: Our Edison Gem Phonograph - a few questions

Post by ChrisM »

Thanks again for your help Dulcetto, I'll keep an eye out on eBay and make some enquiries as to whether the maker of the reproduction can vary the design dimensions.
Dave - As for the endgate this doesn't (on mine anyway) 'lock' into place and I think is more to support the weight of the drum, the mandrel being there to prevent the drum moving along its shaft.
Cheers
Chris

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Dave D wrote:It looks like you have an endgate. Why do you need that mandrel shaft collar? Doesn't the endgate hold the mandrel in place?
Dave
I am sorry for the misinformation. I was thinking of the Edison Home. I checked my Gem and it has both the collar and the end gate. I can't figure out what the thread is on the screw. It may be 1-56.
Dave

ChrisM
Victor Jr

Post by ChrisM »

Hi all
Just thought I'd post an update on this machine.
I've obtained a Gerry Edwards paper-mache gem horn via eBay to get me up and running, thanks to Mike Child for pointing me in this direction.
Many thanks to Dave D for the supply and help on the baseboard knurled nuts, these work a treat and look great.
I've had the Reproducer serviced with a new stylus fitted by Keith Badman.
I found that my original mandrel pot metal bearing is distorted (the shaft hole is elongated) and so sourced a replacement from croakinfrog phonograph parts (USA) via eBay. This turned out to be slightly shorter than the UK Gem but I think you'll agree is a fine replacement (and it's shiny too!).
The pot metal end on the replacement has some damage (which I knew about prior to purchase), is there anyone able to repair this?
The motor runs but unfortunately does not have enough power to allow the machine to play (it stalls), so I think my next task is to strip it down to the point where I can give it a good clean and lubricate the appropriate parts. To guide me through this I've obtained a copy of 'The Compleat Talking Machine' book (again via eBay, what would I do without it!) as recommended by Bill - thanks again Bill.
So, here's how the machine looks now (also showing the two pot metal mandrel ends)...

pianolist
Victor I

Post by pianolist »

I just acquired a sad Edison Bell that I would like to restore. Here in Tacoma, WA, one doesn't see English machines so I don't have a resource here to question. It was mentioned of knurled nuts that hold the bed plate. I would assume there are studs in the case itself that the motor board then fits over? Mine only has holes in the case.

I will eventually need to find a New Model reproducer though I see a standard C will work.

The lid on mine is missing one end; if someone happened to have a damaged one with a good end I would be very interested.

Thanks for any help, advice or resources not known in the states for parts.

Ron

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Pictures really help in a case like this.
Dave