Russian rebrand of HMV 102?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Russian rebrand of HMV 102?

Post by Phono48 »

ValdisT wrote: Also, usually an "adapted" design was handed out to multiple factories, often tangentially related to the item to be produced, to at least somehow combat the mind blowing shortage of everything (in case of portable record players, a quick search online turned out at least 19 factories, all producing their versions of the HMV 101/102).
Thanks for that, it explains a lot I didn't know about. Here's mine, which is from a different factory. Incidentally, the lid stay, crank clip, and arm retaining clip have all been replaced with those from a scrapped 102, and fitted perfectly, with no need for adaption, so some of the dimensions are indeed identical.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

jboger wrote:Sounds like an accurate description of how furniture is made and sold by my local furniture store.
What would our grandparents have thought of furniture which the customer had to transport home and assemble themselves? Not my idea of progress!

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

epigramophone wrote:
jboger wrote:Sounds like an accurate description of how furniture is made and sold by my local furniture store.
What would our grandparents have thought of furniture which the customer had to transport home and assemble themselves? Not my idea of progress!
What? You mean there's another way? Wait 'til IKEA hears about this!

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

The decal is very very nice. The interesting things are that it says it was produced in Moscow, and that it is named "Pathéphone", which is quite odd at least to my ears. I wonder if Pathé gramophones were the first to make their road to Russia, as this contradicts the general use of the word "gramophone" in Europe to name whatever mechanical record player.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:The decal is very very nice. The interesting things are that it says it was produced in Moscow, and that it is named "Pathéphone", which is quite odd at least to my ears. I wonder if Pathé gramophones were the first to make their road to Russia, as this contradicts the general use of the word "gramophone" in Europe to name whatever mechanical record player.
I had the lid transfer on my machine (pictured earlier on this thread) translated by a Russian speaker, who told me that in Russia "Pathéphone" was a generic term for what we in the UK and Western Europe would call a gramophone. There was no connection with the Pathé Frères company.