Please Read: Book on HMV-Affiliate Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Re: Please Read: Book on HMV-Affiliate Gramophones

Post by Garret »

Steve,

Wouldn't you think that at a minimum, it would be useful to have a book of pictures and basic description information on the known original HMV affiliate machines? I agree with you about the practical ability to assemble a full history, but for collectors, even a picture book of known originals with notations on the known variants could be useful, no?

Best,

Garret

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Garret wrote:Steve,

Wouldn't you think that at a minimum, it would be useful to have a book of pictures and basic description information on the known original HMV affiliate machines? I agree with you about the practical ability to assemble a full history, but for collectors, even a picture book of known originals with notations on the known variants could be useful, no?

Best,

Garret
I think it would be invaluable and very interesting. I'll be in for a copy when it comes to fruition. I think it would help establish values for these great machines on more solid footing, too. I've gotten some real "steals" on Euro machines because I think a lot of collectors truly believe they're looking at Crapophones when they are the real deal!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Maybe a start - empiric - would be to see how much info and pictures of real machines turn up among forum members? Myself I could supply 2 machines, one german and one spanish, both outside horn machines. There are spanish collectors who have catalogues surely? That is if there is someone who wants to do a book! (I´d buy it!)

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Actually, snallast, that's a great idea! So we have two machines for such a book! Who else has one (or hopefully more!)

Garret

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

...Anyone???? :shock:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Garret wrote:...Anyone???? :shock:
Like I said, try it on the German forum. There are several members who have presented HMV/DGAG gramophones there. French and Spanish machines will be yet another story. I would think that the research and information gathering will take a lot of time and individual one by one relationship building to find people who are willing to share their information and pictures.

Andreas

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I have two French La Voix de Son Maitre, both are table top Lumière players, one in oak and the other in mahogany. I also have a small portable Gramola, German and quite different from the English ones. I have several Colonial HMVs - teak 101 and 102, 113, 114, horned 32, 33, 29 etc - but I guess these were all made in England and exported rather than manufactured in India. They are all available to be photographed, but I am afraid the most attractive ones are hidden elsewhere. I've seen last month a couple of really attractive German external horned HMVs in a collector's house in Germany. The only Spanish HMVs I've seen, besides the one Steve posted here, were a couple at the Phonogalerie in Paris - only a couple, though. Most of the French HMVs I've seen, apart from the decal, look identical to the English ones, like Monarchs and trade-mark machines.

Odeon
Victor I
Personal Text: Stomp off, let´s go !

Post by Odeon »

Here are some of the gramophones you´ll find with our site:

http://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plugi ... eraheading

Search the list for:
  • - Deutsche Grammophon A.G. (The HMV had only been involved up to WWI! Afterwards the DGAG had been an independent company. Also Gramola is without an connection to the DGAG, as these gramophones had been built by the Austrian branch of the HMV.)
  • - Electrola (The German Branch of the HMV from 1926 on and up to WWII)
  • - HMV
Just click the links in the list, to see more about the particular model.

With this link, you´ll find some of the indian made models:
http://grammophon-platten.de/page.php?578

Is someone might write a book about the affilate companys and models, it would be useful (with the research) to speak, besides English, other languages like German, French and Spain. For example, you´ll find a lot of infos about the DGAG before WWI in the trade magazine "Phonographische Zeischrift": https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/inde ... 1386147579 You only must be able to read German, and search some thousand sites within the pdfs.... ;)

All in all the connections of the different affiliates of the HMV in Europe are very complex - to say the least...

Article: "The HMV in Austria" (in English): http://grammophon-platten.de/page.php?548

1920:

To my mind, to write such a book, will be some kind of life-task. You´ll have to invest a lot of manpower, time, knowledge and money...

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

This was just posted on the German forum as well. It is a long to a Spanish collection with lots of interesting machines. I think following links like that and asking such collectors to provide information and pictures may be the way to accomplish this. http://www.pictaram.com/user/myphonogra ... 3850584831.

I wish you success
Andreas