Real or fake?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Real or fake?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Phonofreak wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Harvey- is the wood the box is made of correct? The reason I was thinking HMV was the turntable, speed control, and the crank.

I agree it could be an attractive machine. I've seen other HMV machines, specifically a Monarch, from this seller and they seemed to check out OK given the other photos and info I could find on them. This one threw me, though.

The wood on the case is correct. It was either Oak, or some other European hardwood. At a glance, it looks like an HMV/ Victor machine. The speed control, crank, turntable and brake are typical of these types of European machines. These machines were Victor/HMV knock-offs made in Germany, Switzerland, British or French. I have this same machine in Oak. It's packed away right now. It has a 2 spring motor and a 12" cast iron turntable. The price is very high for what is shown. If it had the correct reproducer and horn, then the price wouldn't be so bad.
Harvey Kravitz
Great info- thanks. I like the Euro machines and am trying to learn more about them.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I like them, too. A lot of these ended up in Seattle, WA. I get these from estate sales, and sometimes antique stores. It's been a while since I have seen one of these for sale.
Harvey Kravitz

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

Too far away for me.....,

Someone in the SF area may want to ask them if they are interested in selling their Herzog cabinet :-)
Attachments
herzc.jpg
herzc.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 661 times