Real or fake?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Real or fake?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Happened to stumble across this on eBay. I'm posting it here rather than in the eBay section because it's a Euro machine.

First- Is it genuine? The wood, box design, decal, arm, and brake give me pause. Yet, on the whole, it seems well built.

If it's real, what model and era is it?

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152393398042?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Henry
Victor V

Re: Real or fake?

Post by Henry »

Fake. What you listed, and the sound box is not Victor.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Henry wrote:Fake. What you listed, and the sound box is not Victor.
I figured the sound box part was so obvious I didn't mention it.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I'm not sure exactly what this machine is, since it is European, but I don't think it's fake... The back bracket, tonearm and elbow look like an English Victor product. I'm sure someone can identify it...
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Could be a Swiss machine, with a fake dog decal. The brake is a generic part used in many Swiss and German second tier manufacturers.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

CarlosV wrote:Could be a Swiss machine, with a fake dog decal. The brake is a generic part used in many Swiss and German second tier manufacturers.
The dog decal looks like a variant of a Victor Talking Machine horn decal. I can make out the 'king' of the second word. I doubt it's in any way original. Plus it looks like a pine box... or am I mistaken? Did German/ Swiss HMV variants use pine?

I don't think I'll bid on it but I want to learn more about what is correct and what isn't on these machines. I really don't think it's a complete fake, either... but I am keeping an open mind. Maybe it's a Franken rather than a fake? The arm and backrest construction seem too good to be a fake. I've just never seen this style before.

Could it be some sort of Zonophone?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This is not a Victor/HMV product. This is a legitimate Swiss, German or British machine from about 1910-20. The case, bracket, elbow, arm are the give aways. The dog decal on the case is not correct. The reproducer looks like a Thorens from the 1920-30 period. With a fluted peacock horn and a European mica reproducer, it would be a very attractive machine.
Harvey Kravitz

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Harvey- is the wood the box is made of correct? The reason I was thinking HMV was the turntable, speed control, and the crank.

I agree it could be an attractive machine. I've seen other HMV machines, specifically a Monarch, from this seller and they seemed to check out OK given the other photos and info I could find on them. This one threw me, though.

zipcord
Victor I

Post by zipcord »

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

gramophone-georg wrote:Harvey- is the wood the box is made of correct? The reason I was thinking HMV was the turntable, speed control, and the crank.

I agree it could be an attractive machine. I've seen other HMV machines, specifically a Monarch, from this seller and they seemed to check out OK given the other photos and info I could find on them. This one threw me, though.

The wood on the case is correct. It was either Oak, or some other European hardwood. At a glance, it looks like an HMV/ Victor machine. The speed control, crank, turntable and brake are typical of these types of European machines. These machines were Victor/HMV knock-offs made in Germany, Switzerland, British or French. I have this same machine in Oak. It's packed away right now. It has a 2 spring motor and a 12" cast iron turntable. The price is very high for what is shown. If it had the correct reproducer and horn, then the price wouldn't be so bad.
Harvey Kravitz