Help in Id of phonograph Crown ?? Pictures added

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
tomb
Victor IV

Help in Id of phonograph Crown ?? Pictures added

Post by tomb »

I purchased a machine very similar to this that does not have the metal ID tag. It seems to be a crown phonograph. Is this an India machine or legit. I am missing the horn and elbow to this. Any information will be helpful. I dug mine out of storage and took some pictures. The arm and reproducer looks wrong for the machine.. Tom B
Attachments
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1529.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG
Last edited by tomb on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Help in Id of phonograph Crown ??

Post by Curt A »

I have never seen one like this, but the tonearm looks like it's from a portable of some kind...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This is a late 1920's European machine. I'm not sure of the manufacturer. These late machines have that type of tone arm. While American manufacturers pretty much stopped production of horned machines, European companies continued until the late 20's or early 30's. Looking at the machine and components, it looks legit to me.
Harvey Kravitz

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

My mistake. :oops: :oops: It looks like a swapped motor in the picture. I see another crank hole and a metal plate near the crank. It looks like it is covering the original crank hole or something else. However, I have seen late European horn machines with an Orthophonic style tone arm.
Harvey Kravitz

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Crown gramophone was neither European nor Indian. It was made in the 1930's by or for the Kwong Loong Chan Company of 200 South Bridge Road, Singapore, which was for many years the local HMV dealership. The transfers either side of the front glass panel should include the words "Made in British Malaya" and "Singapore".

The sloping sides of the case and the cast back bracket fool some collectors into thinking that the Crown is a Crapophone based upon the HMV Model 25, but it is a perfectly genuine and interesting machine in it's own right.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

As stated above it is missing the horn and elbow and needs some minor work. Is this one worth putting the money into it and where would be a place to procure parts for it besides the forum. I will try the forum first. Tom b

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

An original horn with the maker's transfer, as pictured below, will be hard to find. Another option would be to source an elbow of the correct diameter for the tonearm and a painted metal horn to fit it, which would at least complete the machine with period components. Unfortunately the picture does not show the soundbox.

I cannot say whether the expense would be cost-effective, as valuation is all about comparison and there are not many Crown gramophones about, let alone for sale. If it was mine I would go ahead and do it regardless, as the machine is uncommon.
Attachments
Crown.jpeg
Crown.jpeg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 1787 times

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thank you for the information. That picture is exactly what my machine looks like less horn and elbow. I think the elbow will be hard to get and I can always ( as you say) paint the replacement horn red although it would not be authentic. I guess anything is possible finding the parts. I will try to dig it out of storage next week and post a few pics of the machine and motor. It has a very wide opening where the elbow goes in.. Tom B

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

That will be a great machine to restore. You might be able to find a horn and elbow on ebay, or a fellow Forum member might be able to help. If this is a machine you want to keep and enjoy, do whatever it takes to complete it. To me, it is well worth the effort.
Harvey Kravitz

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

When I first got into collecting I was buying Victor Victrola's then expanded into cheap horn machines. A replica horn machine then a Lone star next the Crown and many RCA portables because they were cheap. I always wondered about the Crown as it was well made and played well. I packed away most of these machines aa I went heavily into Edison's. Now as my Edison home and standard collection is almost complete ( I only need two models) I am looking at finishing up some of the old ones . This Crown interests me and I will complete it. I will have to check the internet for parts. Tom B