BIAL & FREUND Phonograph Model IV (EWC)

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: BIAL & FREUND Phonograph Model IV (EWC)

Post by Starkton »

jamiegramo wrote:But how is it possible you paid less than the original price?
This isn't surprising at all. Keep in mind that the original price in late 1901 was 100 Mark ("Goldmark"), an average monthly income at the time.

ADLER-Record
Victor Jr

Post by ADLER-Record »

Uh, so many answers!
1)
@CharliePhono: You are right, for an "American look" the horn should have been rather black or brass.

2)
@Stephan: Ich habe in besagtem Forum keinen Account im Hauptbereich mehr - ansonsten hätte ich ihn natürlich gern vorgestellt, allein um das Urteil von Dir und Norman als Experten zu erfahren. Du kannst die Bilder aber gern nutzen!

3)
@jamiegramo: The phonograph was offered for 42 €, which is about $ 44.50. I bought the machine immediately. After the purchase, the seller said that he would have received other bids later, but he would sell it to me because "a deal is a deal."
In an auction the phonograph would certainly have cost a bit more... :)

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Good heavens! £35 UK Pounds. Good you got it otherwise we wouldn't enjoy your pictures. Excelsior products were sold here in Britain and I had a small one once (Graphophone Q type) it was well made and had a silent running motor.

ADLER-Record
Victor Jr

Post by ADLER-Record »

jamiegramo wrote:Good heavens! £35 UK Pounds. Good you got it otherwise we wouldn't enjoy your pictures. Excelsior products were sold here in Britain and I had a small one once (Graphophone Q type) it was well made and had a silent running motor.
Oh yes, I think I know the model you described. Bial & Freund also sold these small models made by Excelsior - beautiful machines!I'm still looking for a well-preserved one.
Attachments
211212.png
211212.png (350.86 KiB) Viewed 944 times
2112.png