Another HMV variant not in "His Master's Gramophone " ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Another HMV variant not in "His Master's Gramophone " ?

Post by Gramtastic »

Like many UK collectors, I tend to use "His Master's gramophone" as the bible to identify HMV machines.
I have just bought this one which is however quite confusing.. In most respects it is a model IXa (1911-1915) but this model should have boxwood stringing and a lock while mine has neither (it does say "some may not have as much stringing" but it doesn't mention any with no stringing at all !)
The case resembles more the later Model 9 but it has the black tone arm bracket with the gold lines, the needle holders at the back not the side,the double spring motor with "yielding" turntable,the steel circular top plate and the transfer in the middle of the lid all as per the IXa.
Is it some sort of transitional model ?
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Andrew
Attachments
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG

Retrograde
Victor III

Re: Another HMV variant not in "His Master's Gramophone " ?

Post by Retrograde »

The closest I can spot in the book "HMV Gramophones 1921 to 1936" is on page 63 for a 1921 Table Grand Model No. 9. It shows rounded corners, small doors, and no lock as in the images you've posted.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks, but the number 9 has the needle holders on the left,not the back,the chrome tone arm bracket, not the black one with the gold stripes, the transfer on the edge of the lid not the middle etc etc.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I also use the book as a dating and identification guide, but in the case of this model the authors admit that details of the many versions are "sparse and variable". They also mention that even the period catalogues are confusing.