Do columbia 202's have any pot metal?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
12jslater
Victor II

Do columbia 202's have any pot metal?

Post by 12jslater »

Such as the back bracket or anything else?

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Do columbia 202's have any pot metal?

Post by gramophone-georg »

No sign of any pot metal on mine.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

cheers i'm just going to service mine and I wanted to know if there was anything I should be weary off.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

They certainly do! The complete inner horn, from the base of the arm to the point at which it "swivels" is made if pot-metal. The most common problem with this, the 201, and the 112 are breakages of the pot metal joint at the base of the arm.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The end of the long thin pot metal horn pivots on lugs with the larger tin horn. These lugs can break and are tricky to repair.

Having re-attached the broken lug with super glue, I have successfully drilled through the entire assembly and inserted a threaded rod secured with lock nuts at both ends. Even if the lug breaks again, the rod should still hold the assembly together.

It is a pig of a job, and had my 112a (ancestor of the 202) not been the brown crocodile version I would have scrapped the machine.

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Is there anything to do to preserve them such as coating the entire pot metal section of the horn in epoxy?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I've never tried, but I don't think it would do much good. When the pot metal backs on HMV No.5 soundboxes expand, they often break the brass fronts, so I would imagine with power like that, a coat of thin epoxy would be useless.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

To the best of my knowledge, pot metal "pest" is not typical only of zamac but descends directly from the use of zinc, which decrystalizes in presence of lead impurities in the alloy. The process is accelerated by humidity, but aside of keeping the item in a dry place there is no other way to prevent or arrest zinc pest, as the original compound of the alloy obviously cannot be changed or purified.

For small objects with principles of pest I've seen someone immersing the object in cyanoacrylate glue, that will fill by capillarity even the smaller and invisible cracks and will help keeping everything together. Of course for big objects such as the elbow of a horn, a cyanoacrylate bath may be impossible to do.