Phonograph Art nouveau

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
US PHONO
Victor II

Re: Phonograph Art nouveau

Post by US PHONO »

My best guess at manufacturer would be Lyrophone. Here something similar but not identical
Attachments
ly.JPG
ly.JPG (24.73 KiB) Viewed 1669 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

You may find that the inset panels are not brass. I think they have a finish over them that has yellowed over time, giving the appearance of brass. I suspect the panels are possibly silver plated. I would try applying a very small spot of stripper on a panel, in an inconspicuous place. It may reveal more silver finish.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Since the History Channel had a series called "Hunting Hitler" and theorized that Adolph may not have died in Berlin, but escaped to South America - Bariloche, Argentina... maybe this was his (or Martin Bormann's, since there were witnesses who saw Martin in South America - after the war - after he supposedly died in Berlin in 1945). It is definitely a high end machine made for someone of importance...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Curt A wrote:Since the History Channel had a series called "Hunting Hitler" and theorized that Adolph may not have died in Berlin, but escaped to South America - Bariloche, Argentina... maybe this was his (or Martin Bormann's, since there were witnesses who saw Martin in South America - after the war - after he supposedly died in Berlin in 1945). It is definitely a high end machine made for someone of importance...
I assume that machine was made well before 1920, when both Hitler and Bormann were nobodies. No need to add to all the legend building of these so called history shows.

Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

alang wrote:
Curt A wrote:Since the History Channel had a series called "Hunting Hitler" and theorized that Adolph may not have died in Berlin, but escaped to South America - Bariloche, Argentina... maybe this was his (or Martin Bormann's, since there were witnesses who saw Martin in South America - after the war - after he supposedly died in Berlin in 1945). It is definitely a high end machine made for someone of importance...
I assume that machine was made well before 1920, when both Hitler and Bormann were nobodies. No need to add to all the legend building of these so called history shows.

Andreas
I agree, but maybe they stole this along with the confiscated artwork and smuggled it on a U-Boat... :lol:

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

As far as the History Channel show goes, I was very skeptical at the beginning since I knew the supposed historical outcome, but after looking at the investigation I now think - "Why not?" - these people were extremely intelligent and planned every minute detail of everything.

It's almost ludicrous to believe that Adolph did not have an exit strategy and just decided to give up and kill himself in a bunker. There is absolutely no verifiable proof that whatever bodies were found at the bunker belonged to the Fuhrer and Eva Braun - the skull fragment that the Soviets had of Adolph was proven to be a female.

Too many CIA, FBI, MI5 and Isreli intelligence files along with different sources were reporting sightings of Adolph and Martin in South America (Bariloche, Argentina) after the war and they were continuing an active search... It's just a "better story" to say they all died and now we need to move on...

However, I'm positive that they are dead now... :lol:

My Wife

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

Curt A wrote: However, I'm positive that they are dead now... :lol:
You could also have been positive about Bormann a few years ago as s skeleton found near Lehrter railway station in Berlin was matched by DNA as Bormann's. However there are conspiracy theorists who challenge this?

But we digress from this amazing carved phonograph :-)

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

I noticed the panels better, you are right, they are in three different shades, the most worn and deep is of silver color, this can be seen in the photo on the foot of the angel and in the thigh of the flautist and the violinist.
Nothing like asking who understands ... thanks Jerry for the comment.
Attachments
DSC01503.JPG

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

Thanks for all the comments, follow photos with details for appreciation.
Attachments
DSC01488.JPG
DSC01504.JPG
DSC01484.JPG
DSC01482.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

US PHONO wrote:
Curt A wrote: However, I'm positive that they are dead now... :lol:
You could also have been positive about Bormann a few years ago as s skeleton found near Lehrter railway station in Berlin was matched by DNA as Bormann's. However there are conspiracy theorists who challenge this?
Yes, I know about the remains found in Berlin (why did it take 70+ years to discover them?) and have seen pictures of them with red clay attached... clay that matches the supposed grave in South America and not found in Berlin...

Again, I agree on the phonograph.... it's fantastic...

My Wife