Portable ID needed please!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Portable ID needed please!

Post by Phono48 »

Can anyone throw any light on this strange portable I bought recently? The yellow oval "Twin" plate is made of tin, and was attached to the record carrier in the lid with two tiny nails. Suspecting it was a later addition, I took it off, and sure enough, underneath was the very scant remains of a different trademark, completely indecipherable. I've seen this "Twin" trademark on early records, but what is the significance of the "Mace"? The arm and needle pot look very similar to those used on American Columbia portables, as does the velvet turntable mat. The soundbox carries no identifying marks.The speed control and handbrake are typically British Garrard, as is the motor, although completely unmarked. The autobrake is identical to that used on the Academy portables, and it is known that Columbia supplied parts for those, so what do I have here, a foreign Columbia, or a Japanese copy? And where the heck did that tin "Twin" plate originate? Any help much appreciated.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Portable ID needed please!

Post by epigramophone »

I cannot identify the machine, but it could be a product of the Japanese Columbia factory.

The "Twin" plate is probably a reproduction. I have seen this logo on record labels, covers and needle tins, but never on a machine. Pictured below is a brand new metal sign which has been artificially aged. These turn up on eBay.
Attachments
twin.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I've noticed that the 'Twin' label survived in use much later in India than here in England, possibly accounting for more of those reproduction signs than would otherwise be the case?
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Twin label was the Gramophone Company's first venture into double sided records, and was introduced in 1908. Note that there is nothing on the label to indicate it's HMV origins. They were probably hedging their bets! In 1911 it was merged with the Zonophone label, at least in the UK, which then incorporated the Twin logo. It would have been typical of the Gramophone Company to then use the obsolete label in India.
Attachments
twin.jpg
twin.jpg (162.47 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
zonophone.jpg
zonophone.jpg (183 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Thanks for the replies - food for thought! I'd still love to find out the significance of "Mace" on the tin label.