Decca Salon 130 portable questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Decca Salon 130 portable questions

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote:The machine pictured in Orthofan's post is not a UK Decca 130. I'm not sure what model that is but it definitely isn't a 130.

Yes, a picture of your machine would help!

By the way the Decca 130 also did not have CHROMIUM fittings. The Decca 130 portable was nickel-plated.

How do you know ? Such positivity is disconcerting :D

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Phono48 wrote:If you look at the link, (not the picture) that Orthofan provided yesterday, that will lead you to the 130. Yours will either have metal corner protectors that go the full depth of the case, which is the first version, or small triangular ones, which is the later version. The one in the link is the later version, so I would expect the autobrake to have a simple hoop sticking out from the turntable edge, which is moved by the pin attached to the arm. A much simpler version, which is easier to adjust.
No, and no; there are no corner fittings. The nickel-plated motor board is nearly round except for protruding areas for the speed control and brake. I assume this is the "drop in" style referred to earlier.

The brake does have a hoop sticking out, but the brake workings are quite complex, with 3 rotating areas and 3 springs.

Pictures soon...

Also, this has the swing-out needle cup on the corner, but the mechanism for holding the cup in place is gone. Can this be replaced (easily)?
Last edited by 52089 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Pictures attached with the case fully open. Please pardon the background.

I am showing this with the turntable both on and off, plus a closeup shot of the brake mechanisms, and a shot of inside the lid which does indeed include a small album for 10 inch records.

The start/stop brake is brilliantly simple. The brake pad is a round piece of leather with a screw in the middle. When it develops a flat spot, you simply loosen the screw and turn the leather. Why can't they all be like this?

I hope these are sufficient to answer my earlier questions definitely. Let me know if additional photos are needed. Thanks in advance for all feedback, information, etc.
Attachments
DSCN0595.JPG
DSCN0596.JPG
DSCN0597.JPG
DSCN0598.JPG
DSCN0599.JPG

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Thanks Orthofan for editing your post - I see the distinction between the pictures and the link now! ;)

As for the OP's question, now we can see his 130 two things are very clear. This is one of the very late models and internally it is identical to my own (the one I mentioned in an earlier post). What I can't tell from the pictures though is if the cabinet is rounded off at the ends? If it is, congratulations on finding one of the 'Hen's Teeth' versions. If it has a square cabinet, even better as it's yet another rare variant. At this rate Christopher will have to re-write the book!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Steve wrote:Thanks Orthofan for editing your post - I see the distinction between the pictures and the link now! ;)

As for the OP's question, now we can see his 130 two things are very clear. This is one of the very late models and internally it is identical to my own (the one I mentioned in an earlier post). What I can't tell from the pictures though is if the cabinet is rounded off at the ends? If it is, congratulations on finding one of the 'Hen's Teeth' versions. If it has a square cabinet, even better as it's yet another rare variant. At this rate Christopher will have to re-write the book!
I did some image searching for the Decca 10/20/30 mentioned earlier and saw the versions with the rounded ends. Mine is not like that - it's a standard cabinet, squared on all ends and corners.

Now, is that "other" brake merely there to provide an alternative start/stop mechanism, or can it be adjusted to provide automatic shutoff at the end of a record?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

52089 wrote:
Steve wrote:Thanks Orthofan for editing your post - I see the distinction between the pictures and the link now! ;)

I did some image searching for the Decca 10/20/30 mentioned earlier and saw the versions with the rounded ends. Mine is not like that - it's a standard cabinet, squared on all ends and corners.

Now, is that "other" brake merely there to provide an alternative start/stop mechanism, or can it be adjusted to provide automatic shutoff at the end of a record?
You must have a very short-lived variant there as it clearly came after the 'standard' pattern 130 but must just pre-date my example (with rounded off corners) which co-existed for a short time with the replacement Model 30 (part of the sleeker, new styled range).

Yes, the "other" brake is there to provide a convenient manual operation.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The automatic brake is that "hoop" that is activated by the arm. With the turntable on, and a record playing,get down so your eyes are looking through the space between the turntable and the motorboard. (a torch may help).Watch what happens when the arm is about two thirds the way across the record. The end of the autobrake lever (the long arm that points to the side of the centre spindle) should start to gradually move in towards the centre spindle. As it gets nearer, it will be nudged back by the protruding stud on the underside of the turntable centre. This will keep happening until the needle reaches the run-out groove, at which point it will move in too quickly for the stud to nudge it out of the way, and the autobrake lever will have locked, so that the next time the stud comes round, instead of nudging the lever out of the way, it strikes it, and the levers attached to it will release the brake pad to stop the turntable. Sounds more complicated than it is, but if you understand how it's supposed to work, it may be easier to see what needs adjusting.

Salon
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I love Vintage Music

Post by Salon »

Here are some photos of my recently acquired Salon Decca 130, an example of which I have always wanted to own. It is in immaculate condition and sounds superb.
Attachments
ZZ43.jpg
ZZ42.jpg
ZZ40.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Was it the one sold on eBay last week perhaps? It came with a soundbox in horrible conditions...