HMV 102 height differences ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

HMV 102 height differences ?

Post by poodling around »

I noticed a few minutes ago that my two 'black cloth' 102's are different sizes.

One is 15cm high and the other 16cm's high (when closed).

Is this usual and if so why did HMV alter the dimensions I wonder ? :?:

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV 102 height differences ?

Post by Phono48 »

The later versions of the 102 came about from a decision by The Gramophone Co. to "standardise" the range of Columbia and HMV models. So from early 1949 the 102 case was based on the Columbia 9000. The main differences to the 102 were a deeper lid and flush motor board, so there was no need for a winding handle escutcheon. This information taken from the "His Masters' Gramophone" page 208.

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote:The later versions of the 102 came about from a decision by The Gramophone Co. to "standardise" the range of Columbia and HMV models. So from early 1949 the 102 case was based on the Columbia 9000. The main differences to the 102 were a deeper lid and flush motor board, so there was no need for a winding handle escutcheon. This information taken from the "His Masters' Gramophone" page 208.

Barry
That seems odd. Both machines seem to have the same eschutcheon, neither motor board is flush - they are both the same - sunk down. Photo's below.

Also, they both have 'nobs' for the record storage thing.

Also, it isn't the lid which is deeper / higher it is the 'base'.

The number of the higher 102 is shown below. (71,866). I always wondered what 'F. 13' meant on the tag though. Doesn't the number indicate that it is earlier than 1949 ?

Thank you Barry.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (456.65 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (292.08 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (315.21 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Last edited by poodling around on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

I have just noticed that the two HMV logo's are slightly different.

Photo below - higher 102 logo below the other one.

Subtle, but there are differences. Was the logo changed too ?
Attachments
dog3.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That tag doesn't include a date code so must be pre 1936.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Has one of your two 102s got a metal motor board, and the other a wooden one? When the metal motor board was discontinued, the new wooden version required a deeper case, due to the thickness of the wood, as opposed to the very thin metal version. So, over the production time of the 102, there were three different case sizes, the original for the metal motor board, then the slightly deeper one for the wooden board, and finally the one with the deeper lid and flush motor board.(the "E" and the "H"). I once attempted to replace the metal version with a wooden one, and found that sitting the wooden one on the metal side brackets brought the wooden board up flush with the sides of the case, and also raised the arm to the point where the lid would not close.

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote:Has one of your two 102s got a metal motor board, and the other a wooden one? When the metal motor board was discontinued, the new wooden version required a deeper case, due to the thickness of the wood, as opposed to the very thin metal version. So, over the production time of the 102, there were three different case sizes, the original for the metal motor board, then the slightly deeper one for the wooden board, and finally the one with the deeper lid and flush motor board.(the "E" and the "H"). I once attempted to replace the metal version with a wooden one, and found that sitting the wooden one on the metal side brackets brought the wooden board up flush with the sides of the case, and also raised the arm to the point where the lid would not close.

Barry
Fantastic !

One motor board is indeed metal and the other one wood.

Thank you for such great, interesting information Barry.