Question about back bracket and value on Monarch Sr.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
john9ten
Victor II

Re: Question about back bracket and value on Monarch Sr.

Post by john9ten »

Jerry B. wrote:If you suspect the back bracket has been exchanged, check to make sure the needle touches or comes very close to the spindle when the reproducer is in a playing position. Jerry Blais
Hi Jerry

I have since found that it is a correct HMV bracket and the reproducer lines up with the spindle as it should, but I think it has been painted, because at close inspection the gold striping is wavy in some areas. I suspect that if I remove a dab of black paint on a hidden area, I may find nickel underneath.

John Robles

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

edisonphonoworks wrote:To me it looks like the back bracket has been repainted too, I believe the decorations should be a bit more busy, than what is on here. I though should not really comment as I am not familiar with the HMV line of Gramophones, rather I am more familiar American Victor line.
Agreed. THe decoration on this bracket is more like what you see on a Columbia back bracket. I have determined this is a correct HMV bracket though, and I agree it has been painted because the gold lines are wavy in spots.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

PeterF wrote:I have one of these, and the back bracket is a dull metal plain finish. The machine came to me from a long-term non-collector owner so I have no reason to believe it was stripped or otherwise altered. I've seen them with bright nickel, and since mine is not rusty or otherwise corroded it may well be some variety of nickel plating that is not shiny like most others.

As for this one, the price is real right. I'd pick it up and worry about the back bracket later, either to leave as-is if it's pleasing, or strip/plate as desired.
Hi Peter

i'm going to remove a small spot of paint and see what's underneath. IT is fine as is, but some of the wavy lines make me think it is repainted. It's a great machine in any case.

John Robles
Last edited by john9ten on Sun May 07, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

gramophone-georg wrote:Noodling around on Google looking at pics of Monarchs and other HMV machines, there are just enough of them that show up with what look like black painted brackets that I'd really hesitate calling this one inauthentic. There seem to be a wild array of filligree designs, too. Don't forget- German market and other Euro market HMV machines really seem to have a lot of variants. It's possible this one was for export, which *might* explain the Plain Jane filligree.

I think the real preliminary test is what Jerry B. says. If the needle doesn't touch the spindle or right close to it, the back bracket is a definite swap. If it lines up with the spindle like it should, I'd leave it as- is (but get the correct fasteners!) and do a lot of looking and research. Even if you decide to go with a different "more authentic" back bracket, I'd keep this one with the machine because with HMVs and other Euro machines... you just never know.
I have found that this is a correct HMV bracket, and everything lines up perfectly. I suspect the repaint because the gold striping is wavy in places, as if it were applied by an amateur. The bolts have knurled heads, they're not plain, so I am wondering if they were a variant at one point, but most other HMV machines seem to have the Victor type bolt. Anyone's guess!