Question about back bracket and value on Monarch Sr.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Question about back bracket and value on Monarch Sr.

Post by Steve »

I'd say that's the wrong bracket but $900 for this machine is still cheap. For comparison, I know of the same machine here in the UK without a horn but with correct bracket and better condition cabinet which sold for £1200. The one pictured here appears to have been "Victor-ised" (or maybe Victor-ized) but being State-side anything is possible.

Now if only a Victor VI would turn up HERE for £900. I'd be happy.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'm pretty sure that some paint stripper on that back bracket will reveal nickel plating underneath. The stripes are amateurish and not at all authentic, even to the simpler Canadian style of Victor striping.

As to being attached with plain, round head screws, I believe that's proper for an HMV model.

That is a truly beautiful machine. Grab it for $900! That's a steal!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

As to being attached with plain, round head screws, I believe that's proper for an HMV model.

I didn't know that plain round head screws are correct for an HMV machine. All of my HMV/G & T machines have the knurled bolts. I wonder if that is a variation, or what the factory had at the time. I'll have to go through my His Master's Voice Gramophone book.
Harvey Kravitz

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Phonofreak wrote:As to being attached with plain, round head screws, I believe that's proper for an HMV model.

I didn't know that plain round head screws are correct for an HMV machine. All of my HMV/G & T machines have the knurled bolts. I wonder if that is a variation, or what the factory had at the time. I'll have to go through my His Master's Voice Gramophone book.
Harvey Kravitz

Harvey,

I'm not 100% certain on that so I hope you can confirm that with your HMV book and let us, (me), know.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I checked my His Master's Gramophone Book. The machine in question here does not show a back view in the book. Other machines of the same era, show the typical Victor knurled back bracket bolts. That's the same with the gooseneck Zonophones, too. There were some smaller machines similar to the American Victor I that had a black painted bracket with striping. It's hard to tall from the pictures if they were simple lines or the filigree striping. I do have a late Model HMV Model V in Mahogany, similar to an American Victor III. That has a plain black bracket, with slip in elbow, but no striping. It also has the typical knurled Victor back bracket bolts. Hope this clarifies things.
Harvey Kravitz

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Phonofreak wrote:I have seen HMV machines with a painted and striped back bracket. Also, I did notice one minor flaw. The back bolts are regular ones, not the knurled ones. Those will have to be replaced with the correct ones.That's a bargaining chip. How does the horn fit into the elbow? Is there a nub on the horn to fit in the bayonet slot? Nice machine. I love those HMV machines.
Harvey Kravitz
Hi Harvey

THe horn has the regular Victor type rivet and fits in exactly as it should. probably a British aftermarket horn.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

john9ten wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:I have seen HMV machines with a painted and striped back bracket. Also, I did notice one minor flaw. The back bolts are regular ones, not the knurled ones. Those will have to be replaced with the correct ones.That's a bargaining chip. How does the horn fit into the elbow? Is there a nub on the horn to fit in the bayonet slot? Nice machine. I love those HMV machines.
Harvey Kravitz
ALso, the bolts do have knurled heads, but not the same shape as Victors. I was wondering if they are an HMV thing. I did buy the machine for $800.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

epigramophone wrote:The model was current from late 1907 to early 1911, but the City Road address on this example dates it no later than 1908. The correct horn would be either a Morning Glory or (from 1908) the optional fluted mahogany.

At $900 I would shake the man's hand before he changes his mind.
Hi

I did buy it for $800.00 and am well pleased with it. Can you tell me if the back bracket bolts are correct? They have knurled heads but are obviously not the usual Victor type that I have seen on other HMV machines.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Steve wrote:I'd say that's the wrong bracket but $900 for this machine is still cheap. For comparison, I know of the same machine here in the UK without a horn but with correct bracket and better condition cabinet which sold for £1200. The one pictured here appears to have been "Victor-ised" (or maybe Victor-ized) but being State-side anything is possible.

Now if only a Victor VI would turn up HERE for £900. I'd be happy.
Hi

I purchased the machine for $800.00! I suspect the nickeled bracket may be underneath the paint as the lines are amateurish. It is definitely an HMV bracket as I detected from the position of the bolt holes. American ones have the bolt holes centered, these are lower on the flange.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

JerryVan wrote:I'm pretty sure that some paint stripper on that back bracket will reveal nickel plating underneath. The stripes are amateurish and not at all authentic, even to the simpler Canadian style of Victor striping.

That is a truly beautiful machine. Grab it for $900! That's a steal!
I suspect you are right about the nickling underneath. Maybe someone thought that the nickeled bracket had its paint stripped off, or maybe the nickel was corroded. I am going to find a small hidden area and test the theory.
By the way, I bought it for $800!!