Question about Pathé phonograph.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
78monarch
Victor Jr

Question about Pathé phonograph.

Post by 78monarch »

A few days ago i bought a defect Pathé phonograph. Does anyone know which model this is?
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_4478.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG

john9ten
Victor II

Re: Question about Pathé phonograph.

Post by john9ten »

78monarch wrote:A few days ago i bought a defect Pathé phonograph. Does anyone know which model this is?
Thank you in advance.
Hi. This is a Pathé "Royale". It is capable of playing both standard and Salon size cylinders. Yours semms to have only a Salon mandrel on it, but the regular mandrel can be found and a salon slip on mandrel applied to it. Here is a picture of the Royale with both mandrels, extension arm and horn. THese pieces can be found. Tim Fabrizio used to specialize in Pathé machines, and I have a connection in France.

John Robles
Attachments
Royale.jpg

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

78monarch wrote:A few days ago i bought a defect Pathé phonograph. Does anyone know which model this is?
Thank you in advance.
Come to think of it, this could be a machine marketed by Girard et Cie, who would make cabinets and use Pathé-supplied parts. This was common.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

It is a Pathé "Coquet". It appeared over the years in a number of variations.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Sidewinder wrote:It is a Pathé "Coquet". It appeared over the years in a number of variations.
I would respectfully disagree that this would not be a Coquet, because the Coquet used a trunnion to hold the horn and reproducer similar to a Columbia Q or B. It did not use the "Systeme Verite" as the Royale does. That is the arm that folds down in front and has an attachment that holds the horn, which is directly connected to the reproducer with a rubber collar. I have had two Coquets myself. Here are a couple of photos of Coquets to illustrate the point.
Attachments
Coquet 1.JPG
Coquet 1.JPG (33.57 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
Coquet 2.jpg
Coquet 2.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
Coquet 3.jpg
Coquet 3.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 2655 times

fonografica
Victor O

Post by fonografica »

Hi!
The machine you have bought is a Pathé Chante-Clair which was also sold by Girard and Cie.
This machine was designed to play only Salon cylinders and had a small one spring motor.
The Pathé Royale, although similar in appearance, is a completely different machine.
The bedplate is larger and has a much more powerful two spring motor and winding crank instead of a winding key on the smaller brother.Also it could play standard and salon cylinders with the slip-on extra mandrel. Royales were sold with Pathé Rex reproducers which are larger and heavier than the standard reproducers seen on Chante Claires and Coquets. Your machine is easy to complete, have a look on ebay France, lots of parts are readily available. regards!
Attachments
chanteclair_629f1.gif

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Three different answers to the question of identity of a Pathé phonograph. Am I surprised? Not in the least! At least the last answer is the correct one anyway! ;)

Now, if anyone wants REAL confusion we could start a topic about Pathé Pathephones (gramophones); that's where things get very difficult to track.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Steve wrote:Three different answers to the question of identity of a Pathé phonograph. Am I surprised? Not in the least! At least the last answer is the correct one anyway! ;)

Now, if anyone wants REAL confusion we could start a topic about Pathé Pathephones (gramophones); that's where things get very difficult to track.
And similar to Columbia Graphophones, which seem to be made from bits and pieces of each other and are as confusing sometimes as the Pathés! This is a fun topic!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have this same machine. Mine has the standard mandrel, and the Salon mandrel that fits over it. There are no decals on my machine, but I see the Pathé characteristics. I have the horn and reproducer, but I am missing the extension piece, that holds the reproducer and horn. Where can I get one of these so I can complete my machine? If I can't locate one, I'll try to build my own.
Harvey Kravitz

canyr
Victor Jr

Post by canyr »

Someone in France is selling this, if that's what you're looking for :
https://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/113 ... tm?ca=12_s.