Pathé restoration project. Can you help?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

Re: Pathé restoration project. Can you help?

Post by old country chemist »

Hello again, Carlos, that is most kind of you to see if you have a suitable tone arm for my Pathé machine. I will hopefully place on the forum, a drawing of the approximate measurements for you to see if your tone arm is the same. Thank you very much.If the picture does not appear, it is because I have forgotten how to attach pictures!!
Attachments
cat etc 007.JPG

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi, I have this Pathé gramophone but it's stored far away from my place so I can't check the dimensions...
I do have some spare Pathé arms but their dimensions are 25mm by 14cm by 35 or 36mm.
Just too bad!
Jeff

old country chemist
Victor II

Hello Jeff, Thank you for the offer of a Pathé tone arm. As I mentioned in my drawing, the measurements are approximate, as the "horn end" on mine is slightly oval, so your arm may do. Carlos has very kindly offered me an arm, which he is sending me a picture of. If for any reason his arm is not suitable, I will get back to you. Thank you very much Jeff. I will be posting some pictures on the forum soon, of the ongoing renovation process.

old country chemist
Victor II

Greetings from Somerset. I am (hopefully) going to send you a few pictures of how, what I call the "tin" gramophone, is progressing regarding the renovation. I had the machine soft grip blasted, then de -rusted, and zinc metal spray coated. The motor is now in it;s "cradle" or whatever you call it. It is double insulated with special rubber inserts.
Thanks for your interest. Carlos is helping me with an appropriate tone arm, and sending me a suitable picture of a metal lidded Pathé that he owns, so that I can see what colour the wood effect has to be. The only bit that had a some paint on of the original colour was the small movable internal horn that looks as if i the paint finish is golden.I do need to know sometime the colour of the bottom of the machine. Was it painted black...?-or was it the same colour as the rest of it without the wood effect?

Kind regards to you ALL, from Alastair Murray, in Sunny, but windy Somerset, England.
Attachments
pathe gram etc 009.JPG
pathe gram etc 008.JPG
pathe gram etc 007.JPG
pathe gram etc 001.JPG

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi again,
I asked one of my sons to make some pics of our mahogany like Pathéphone 19 ( still not restored... Shame on me!). On the Pathé catalog (thanks CarlosV), this model was painted either with a walnut or mahogany finish.
As you can see, the bottom of the machine was black painted.
Hope will help,
Jeff
Attachments
detail2.jpg
detail1.jpg
top.jpg
bottom.jpg
front.jpg

old country chemist
Victor II

Hello Jeff! Thank you very much indeed for the pictures. I know that the catalogue mentions a mahogany finish, and another similar colour, but the one I have has a mid golden colour-this is what I have seen in the few parts that still had some finish on them. I am glad to see that a "tin lid"does cover over the top of the motor, probably either to stop dust entering, or perhaps stops some of the motor noise. And these motors are noisy!. Thank goodness the Pathé discs are recorded so loud that they drown out the straight cut gears crunching away. Also, I had a feeling that the bottom should be painted black-and your is. I will buy enamel paints to do the bottom and the base colours of the case, and obtain one of the new type graining brushes for the wood effect. This last job I am leaving till winter. The speed control linkage rod was broken, so I took it to an engineer pal of mine, He looked at the thread on it and said it was very coarse indeed. This explains the fact that there are three speeds marked on a nickelled disc on the side of the cabinet, and a quarter turn of the rod brings the speed from 80 to 85, another quarter turn, brings it up to speed 90. Clever these French chaps!
You Jeff, like Carlos, have done me a great service by your kindness in posting these pictures for me, as I have never been acquainted with any Pathé machine. It is all new to me, and the help you and Carlos are giving me spurs me to continue on with the renovation of this interesting machine.
Thanks again Jeff, and Carlos. That is the really nice thing about this forum, helping one another if required. Great!!
"EXPERT"ly your, Alastair Murray.