Need help Decca A2 Portable

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Need help Decca A2 Portable

Post by phonogal »

I am trying to repair a Decca A2 portable. I need to replace the isolator on the back of the reproducer. I know they are readily available for Victor reproducers but have not seen them that fit this machine. Anyone know where I might find one? Thanks, Jan

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Need help Decca A2 Portable

Post by soundgen »

can you post some pictures not sure what machine you mean

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Sorry, I should have posted them. I thought maybe I could modify an Exhibition back flange to fit but the insert is slightly too small. The machine is all apart as I am awaiting new govenor spring for it. Of course I didn't take pictures of it before I took it apart. :D
Attachments
DSCF4209.JPG
DSCF4210.JPG
DSCF4211.JPG

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Here's a picture off the internet of the same model. Wish mine looked like that.
Attachments
decca_portable_large.jpg
decca_portable_large.jpg (107.57 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

phonogal wrote:I am trying to repair a Decca A2 portable. I need to replace the isolator on the back of the reproducer. I know they are readily available for Victor reproducers but have not seen them that fit this machine. Anyone know where I might find one? Thanks, Jan
Your soundbox is a Thorens and is not original to your machine. Most early Decca soundboxes and motors were bought in from Paillard. Rather than spend money and effort on your soundbox you might do better to locate an original, although I realise that this may not be easy in the USA.

Depending on the date of your machine, which is often found on a paper label on the motor board under the turntable, the correct soundbox should look something like this :
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

epigramophone wrote:
phonogal wrote:I am trying to repair a Decca A2 portable. I need to replace the isolator on the back of the reproducer. I know they are readily available for Victor reproducers but have not seen them that fit this machine. Anyone know where I might find one? Thanks, Jan
Your soundbox is a Thorens and is not original to your machine. Most early Decca soundboxes and motors were bought in from Paillard. Rather than spend money and effort on your soundbox you might do better to locate an original, although I realise that this may not be easy in the USA.

Depending on the date of your machine, which is often found on a paper label on the motor board under the turntable, the correct soundbox should look something like this :

on early decca portables you often find the dulcephone soundbox and is was as far as i know made by thorens
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 2051 times

tino

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I'm afraid that the back flange with three holes is either (1) not available or (2) no one on the Forum knows where to get one. Wish I had better news.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

tinovanderzwan wrote:
epigramophone wrote:

on early decca portables you often find the dulcephone soundbox and is was as far as i know made by thorens
s-l300.jpg

tino
The soundbox looks like this one so could it be the right one? The phonograph was given to me and needs a new spring as well so it's a work in progree. Cute little machine though.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

jboger wrote:I'm afraid that the back flange with three holes is either (1) not available or (2) no one on the Forum knows where to get one. Wish I had better news.
I will try tomake one to fit. Thank you, Jan

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

tinovanderzwan wrote:
epigramophone wrote:

The attachment s-l300.jpg is no longer available

tino
Decca and Dulcephone were both brand names used by Barnett Samuel & Sons, whose musical instrument business commenced in the 1830's. Their earliest portables were sold as Decca Dulcephones and the bowl in lid sound reflector was known as the Dulciflex.
Attachments
dulcephone.jpg
Last edited by epigramophone on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.