The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hines auto brake help
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:27 am 
Victor Jr
I write in this forum for the first time to seek some help with a lovely Hines gramophone that I recently acquired at auction. It is in good order apart from the automatic brake. As this is the only braking mechanism on the machine and one of its patented features, I'd really like to fix the problem. I've explored the original patent application and it appears that a spring mechanism may be missing but the diagram is not too clearly reproduced and I've never seen another of these machines. I have appended some pictures of the part on my machine and I'd be grateful for any thoughts on how to address the issue or else any photos from other forum members of a similar brake mechanism. I will be most grateful for any help.

George

Attachment:
File comment: Hines brake
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG [ 783.29 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Hines brake 2
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG [ 638.28 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hines auto brake help
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 am 
Victor Jr
As I've had no response to this post, I've done some research and tinkering and fixed the issue. As it might help others restore a Hines machine, and a very splendid and innovative one it is too, I thought I'd post my labours up here.

There is a 1915 patent for the Hines automatic brake. The diagram therein shows a compression spring keeps the brake pressed against the turntable until it is latched away from it to play a record. However, there was obviously some development of the mechanism after the patent was filed because there is no obvious place on my brake to locate such a spring or the forked rod that runs up its centre in the patent. The odd thing about my brake was that there was no obvious wear to the paint, until I started experimenting with it, but it seemed to me that a space on the pivot bolt of the brake suggests a torsion spring might have done the job of the compression spring. So, I ordered one that nearly fitted from an auction site and a few judicious bends made in it got the thing fitted and working. To be honest, the spring is a bit too flimsy to apply as much force to the brake as I would ideally like but it does work. I might thus replace the new leather brake I have also installed with a rubber one for more fiction. Anyway, I have photographed the result for others.

Attachments:
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 128 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 am 
Victor Jr
Here's a couple of photos of the Hines Gramophone with the the brake in situ.

Attachments:
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 125 times ]
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 125 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 am 
Victor I
Very informative and interesting. That is a beautiful
machine. Thanks for posting! Steve