Columbia 160 + 56 portable, last finds in 2019

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Columbia 160 + 56 portable, last finds in 2019

Post by nostalgia »

Happy New Year, everyone :!:
Before entering the new year, 2020, I would like to share some photos of my last two finds in 2019. I know quite a few in here has a general good interest in Columbia portables ( that I also have started to share the last few months), and sharing and identifying the Columbia portables feels also of importance, since many of the "outsourced" Columbia portables are not listed in any available catalog, and even when listed in catalogs, the photos are often in black and white, and scarce.
The last three weeks before 2019 ended I came across a Columbia 160 in very good condition, and after quite a lot of struggle (since the seller used a wrong postal code when shipping the gramophone) I was chasing the gramophone for around 1000 km during the last week, when the gramophone was constantly shipped to new addresses, before finally being able to grab it on December 30th, and opening the cardboard box on December 31th, I soon discovered that the gramophone was excellenty packed, as I had adviced the seller, and also in excellent condition. So, on the eve on December 31st, it entertained myself and my visiting female friend into the new year. It could hardly have become any better way to welcome the new gramophone into my humble sitting room and life. The selling price was a mere 40 euro, but because of the driving it probably cost me an additional 100 euro, but still, it was a very good buy as I see it, and also it now has a history around itself, that makes it even easier to cherish. ( And yes, after searching the forum, I know Marco ( and probably also others) is also owing a Columbia 160, I read with great interest and admiration his restoration work on his model:))
In addition to the 160, I was 3 weeke ago also able to detect and buy a model 56 at a very good price, most probably another Japan made Columbia portable, this time a smaller version than some of the Japan made Columbia posted in recent threads here on the forum. I am posting photos, so everyone can see both the gramophones, and also the attached soundboxes.
To avoid mixing the photos, I am posting photos of the 160 in this message, and adding another small message below for the 56. The soundbox for the 160 has no number on it, but has the Columbia patent number and logo on it. I hope you can enjoy the photos, and keep it as valuable information for future identification/collecting/restorations etc.
Attachments
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG
IMG_3399.JPG
7.jpg
6.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Re: Columbia 160 + 56 portable, last finds in 2019

Post by nostalgia »

And here comes the photos for Model 56, with its Columbia soundbox no 20.
And yes, I need start use another mobile phone, to get better photos..
My old iphone 5s..is showing its limitations clearly.
Attachments
No 20 (3).jpg
No 20 (1).jpg
IMG_2770.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2769.JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice gramophones, congratulations!
Just last Sunday I was watching a nice Columbia 112 for 80euro, it was a bit tatty, but easily repairable. I didn't buy it, as I am limiting my purchases now. I also spotted a box full of soundboxes, with several good Thorens examples. A man before me bought two nice examples for a mere 30 euro. I was looking for exhibition soundboxes, though, and didn't find any.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Inigo:) Yes, I really also have to limit my purchases much in 2020, but I could in particular not let this Columbia 160 escape me, and well...the Model 56 was also hard to resist, since I know they are both not exactly easy to find, and since they both are looking rather flawless, and also are running well, I felt I had to grab them. Limiting purchases in 2020 will hopefully also be easier, since I now have acquired a basic range of gramophones, and not every gramophone turning up around me appears as tempting as earlier on, simply because I already often have the gramophone offered for sale. Limiting my interest to Columbia and HMV, has also made it somewhat easier to jump gramophones I last summer would have been tempted to buy. 2020 will also be a year of restoration, servicing and also working on the soundboxes I have aqcuired during the last months.
I still wish you luck in finding some Exhibition soundboxes now and then, and maybe...even the occasional good gramophone buy:)I still remember your post where you wrote that you still don't own a horn gramophone, I cross my fingers that a cheap good horn gramophone comes your way in 2020:)

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Congratulations for your purchase, the 160 is on the Olympus of the best portables ever made, and it's not easy to put one's hands on it. It's in quite good conditions also! Enjoy it!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Thanks for those good wishes, nostalgia!
Inigo