Clicking noise in HMV 102

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Jeb98
Victor Jr

Clicking noise in HMV 102

Post by Jeb98 »

I recently purchased an HMV 102 on fleabay, and had it shipped to the US. They're not really seen much in the US. This one was cleaned and restored, to what level the spring was cleaned I'm not sure but it seems to function well. There is a clicking noise that shows up that is kind of annoying. I made a video and posted it to Youtube and around 3:20 you can hear the clicking noise I'm talking about.

Any tips on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Best,

Jonas

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Clicking noise in HMV 102

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think you'll find it's the auto-brake making the noise.
Try switching the auto-brake off and using the manual brake for a couple records, and if that stops the clicking then it's definitely the auto-brake causing it.
If you can post a picture of your auto-brake it may help to identify which brake variant you have, and whether or not it can be fixed or improved.

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

One of my 102's suffered with this, pretty sure its the auto brake prematurely catching on the turntable brake clip. -I managed to virtually eliminate it by slackening the 4 motor screws and slightly moving the motor using the crank handle, trial and error but it did work. -If it's been in transit it could have been dropped ...

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Covering the lever that projects from the tonearm base with rubber (the one that advances the autostop mechanism as the record plays) usually cures this. If you have a short length of soundbox gasket tube that stretches enough, that would do it.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

Thank you kindly for all the replies. I have included a picture of under the platter. Can you elaborate where I should cover in rubber, orchorsol?

Perhaps I will try the slackening of the motor screws trick as well. Removing the auto brake function did help but it’d be a shame to lose the auto start and stop feature.

Best,

Jonas
Attachments
B9B4D9A4-D3BA-4CBC-B098-001D54665D43.jpeg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

At the base of the tonearm there's a flat arm protruding, about 2cm long.
On the underside of this arm is a small circular rod sticking out, and it's that tiny rod that you cover with rubber.
I'd also check the underside of your turntable to make sure the brass sleeve around the centre, that activates the brake, hasn't moved out of position.

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

On these later 102's with the flush deck you can shine a torch in from the speed adjuster area whilst the turntables spinning and actually see how the auto brake connects with the brass sleeve, it shouldn't touch until the runout groove. Put a record on and see if the 'taps' correspond with the with the lug on the sleeve hitting the auto brake. -On mine it did so I knew it was that over the tone arm area.
Also looks like you maybe missing the rubber sleeve off the auto brake left side pictured below, which generally hardens and falls off over time anyway. On other 102's i've managed to make one up out of an old bicycle inner tube but it didn't really make a huge difference.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (133.23 KiB) Viewed 2467 times

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The clicking is caused by the detent (to give the brake arm a clockmaking term!) hitting the turntable boss slightly too hard before it needs to engage. The cure is to adjust the amount of friction in the friction joint (to the right of the finger in the picture). Remove the circlip, then take off the 'Isle of Man' washer and slightly flatten the three legs. If you overdo it, the brake won't work at all, so it's a matter of trial and error to get it just right.

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

Oedipus wrote:The clicking is caused by the detent (to give the brake arm a clockmaking term!) hitting the turntable boss slightly too hard before it needs to engage. The cure is to adjust the amount of friction in the friction joint (to the right of the finger in the picture). Remove the circlip, then take off the 'Isle of Man' washer and slightly flatten the three legs. If you overdo it, the brake won't work at all, so it's a matter of trial and error to get it just right.
Great tip, I've a couple of spare auto brakes kicking around, I'll have a play with it as I've another 102 with a slight click that niggles me on quiet records.
I've never fully understood how they seem to barely move when the records playing but suddenly gain enough friction in the runout to throw the 'detent' into the turntable boss. -Clever stuff indeed.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

My one HMV that DOESN'T click has rubber wrapped around its left fork tine. I haven't been able to figure out where to source a similar rubber wrap. Covering the tip of the circular rod is a great idea, though, and I will try that. As it is currently, I know that when the clicking starts, I have exactly 18 seconds before the record ends. Semi-useful!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse