Part Wanted: Elephone Elbow Any help Please

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Part Wanted: Elephone Elbow Any help Please

Post by Ripduf1 »

I have a job in house to roll & straighten a large smooth brass horn from an "ELEPHONE." End of the day it look like a Columbia knock off. This one is complete and just needs an elbow for the horn. Does anyone have a loose one they would sell? If anyone would be kind enough to post a picture of what the elbow actually looks like so when the show circuit restarts I will know what to look for. Thanks in advance please Post, PM, email or call with any input you can provide. John Duffy 860-966-2827
Attachments
IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_9417.jpeg
IMG_9415.jpeg
Horns rolled and straightened

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Part Wanted: Elephone Elbow Any help Please

Post by gramophoneshane »

Forgive me for asking, but shouldn't this be in the Yankee traders section of the forum with the other wanted ads?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi John,

Your machine and horn looks similar to the nice Dulcephone posted by 'Gramtastic'. Yours has differences but it may also be a Dulcephone or similar German maker. More research needed but the elbow should be fairly generic. It's a case of finding one that fits. You may find that the 'Elephone' name is simply something added by a retailer or wholesaler. Hope this helps.

Jamie
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Another Dulcephone (that has been re-motored). It also has the Columbia influenced case as yours.

Also a Dulcephone base, again, Columbia style.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.26 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

gramophoneshane wrote:Forgive me for asking, but shouldn't this be in the Yankee traders section of the forum with the other wanted ads?
Well I guess John was also asking for pictures and information that might not have been as forthcoming from the Yankee Trader. Mind you, I never really thought of these machines as Columbia Knock Off's but the Columbia influence is there and a compliment to Columbia. I think they're all nice machines!:)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

My apologies.

I guess "part wanted" to begin the thread title threw me.
I was also unaware that a wanted ad had already been posted in the trader section several days ago when I made my original post.

Ripduf1
Victor III

Post by Ripduf1 »

Thank you Jaimie for the help and picture, that is good information. The horn is identical to the Dulcephone you posted. If anyone has a loose elbow like the one shown in the Dulcephone picture I would be a customer.

Thanks again!

John

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

An interesting note on the name 'Elephone'. Briefly around 1908-09 a London based company offered Elephone Records. The name 'Elephone' taken from 'Elephant' and 'Gramophone'. These records were intended for export to India so it is possible that your machine, that would normally be sold under the Dulcephone brand, was badged up with the Elephone name for intended export to India. The dates seem about right.

Hope you find an elbow, it looks like a nice machine. The trouble with looking for elbows on eBay is that the seller rarely gives the diameters so it takes a lot of questions for sellers.

Ripduf1
Victor III

Post by Ripduf1 »

Here is an image of the label -Fantastic Graphic! The elephant has the Duplex look! John
Attachments
IMG_9418.jpeg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Wow that is a fantastic trademark! Excellent condition too. Yes this is the same company that produced the Elephone records. The Universal Talking Machine Company Ltd. You have an unusual 'Elephone' Dulcephone of 1908-09.
Attachments
image.jpeg