HMV 101 in wooden Box

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Teak
Victor II

Re: HMV 101 in wooden Box

Post by Teak »

There is gold on every fitting. the gold is removable, with a fine scalpel knife. I scraped on the screw on the motorboard, visible above. There is mint condition nickel underneath. You have got to believe me on this :D

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Teak wrote:There is gold on every fitting. the gold is removable, with a fine scalpel knife. I scraped on the screw on the motorboard, visible above. There is mint condition nickel underneath. You have got to believe me on this :D
Yes, of course you are right, these were finished with gold lacquer over the nickel-plated parts. My teak 112 (which is pristine and completely untouched from new) has the identical "gilt" fittings to the outside of the cabinet but bare nickel-plated fittings internally. I'm not surprised a 101 exists with gilt parts all over. This is distinctly different to the gold-plated metal parts in a "standard" Deluxe British 101 with red leather case. The finish you have there is the same as that found on the most luxurious cabinet models from the so-called "New Improved" range of HMV from 1926 and Lumieres before it ie. 510, 460, 511, 461 etc. AFAIK it is a lacquer based finish and not an electro-plated type.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Teak wrote:Thank you so so much for your input. I don't think, I would sell it ^^. It is maybe one of the rarest 101 in existence. 8-)

The reproducer is an original No. 4 brass, i just rebuilt it.

Is there anybody with an original teak record tray, willing to give me some measurements? I would like to attempt to rebuild it some day.
I have posted pictures and a drawing with measurements in a new thread about my own newly acquired teak 101. Hope this helps.

Roger.