Colour matching a Horn !!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Colour matching a Horn !!

Post by Gramtastic »

Had an HMV horn with some areas of paint loss so off to B and Q to see the paint man ! First time he had ever scanned a horn but it worked really well and the touch up paint was a great match !!
Attachments
20170429_102555.jpg

vansteem78
Victor II

Re: Colour matching a Horn !!

Post by vansteem78 »

Some one told me that this could be done. That is matching color of horn at a modern store like Home Depot or some such place but have never seen it done. I have wondered. Nice to know. Thanks.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Gramtastic wrote:Had an HMV horn with some areas of paint loss so off to B and Q to see the paint man ! First time he had ever scanned a horn but it worked really well and the touch up paint was a great match !!
What was the touch up paint ? wood gloss or some other type of paint

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, yes it was ordinary gloss paint. It was interesting to use 21st Century laser colour scanning with early 20th century gramophone technology !

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Great idea... a fellow collector I know used this technique to match the cream paint color of a Victrola kids machine and finished it with Greg Cline's childrens decals...
Attachments
Child's Vic.jpg
Child's Vic.jpg (40.92 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (7.89 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Is that paint original to the horn? If so its very bright and glossy for its age. I have a generic horned Swiss machine with decent paint inside and horrible on the outside (obviously stored bell down) and I might try to get the interior paint matched to repaint the exterior.

Great advice, Thanks

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi Jake,
Yes it is totally original. I wouldn't normally repaint any horn but there were a few scratches where the shiny tin underneath was showing through and spoiled the look of it. I am very pleased with the touch up as you are matching to what is already 100 plus years old and faded.