The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G&T Style 3 restoration
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 am 
Victor Jr
A new project has come my way. It's a Gramophone and Typewriter New Style 3 model from the early 1900s. As you can see from the photos, the base plate needs gluing and I need to make a tapered horn-support arm (the horn is not photographed as it is away being soldered and I have the original leather elbow too). I could do with some dimensions and photos for the arm, if anyone could help. I also need long-neck sound box, which I suspect won't be easy to find. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I note the motor's governor has ball-shaped weights but most pictures that I have seen suggest that early G&T motors had cylindrical ones. The casing of this machine is of a design that suggests this is the later Style 3 (rather than a recycled 'trademark' case) and perhaps cylindrical weights were only used on the earlier design?

The large gear on the motor is also made of some form of early plastic and I suspect it is that or its bearing which makes the motor run rather noisily. I am seeking a cure and thus took the motor out ahead of gluing the base plate. It seems the motor was mounted on some dampening rubber patches, which have congealed into a black mess.

All in all, there's plenty to be done. I'm a little nervous to tackle the job because there are many parts that I suspect would be near impossible to replace and hard to make but I'm prepared to give this a go. Wish me luck!

Attachments:
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 161 times ]
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 161 times ]
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0683.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 161 times ]
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG [ 948.33 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 161 times ]