EMG Mk IV variations

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

EMG Mk IV variations

Post by chunnybh »

Recently there has been a few MK IV’s appearing on the market. All different, as is usual with most things EMG.
I purchased the one with the replacement HMV tonearm. It has two extra pin holes next to the EMG label. Does anyone know what these would have been for?
Attachments
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: EMG Mk IV variations

Post by emgcr »

chunnybh wrote:It has two extra pin holes next to the EMG label. Does anyone know what these would have been for?
I should think there might have been a second ivorine plate warning about the dangers of crushing the soundbox when closing the lid.

Interesting to see the number 217---another one to add to the files to increase the big picture. Many thanks for the photos Chunny.

How does it sound with the HMV tonearm compared with the original EMG gooseneck ?
Attachments
001.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I missed one of these at an antiques fair a few years ago. It had already sold and was waiting for the purchaser to collect it. Apart from a non original soundbox it appeared to be original and complete, but not a thing of beauty.

My disappointment worsened when I saw the price tag still attached. £22 :!: which had no doubt been haggled down to £20. I resisted the temptation to tell the dealer what he had let go for a pittance. It would have spoiled his day.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Thanks Graham for the label info, it's pin spacing seems correct.
How does it sound with the HMV tonearm compared with the original EMG gooseneck ?
. The difference in the tonearms is subjective and to my ears indistinguishable.
The soundboxes were very different. I tried it with the HMV5a that it came with and it sounded far better, fuller and clearer than with an EMG horseshoe. I can see why the HMV portables with the 5a/b soundboxes sound so good.

I'm guessing the one epigramophone saw was the one in the second picture, which also looks like the earliest made. I saw it for sale for £88 and then it vanished.
I was just surprised that there was a batch of them all hitting the market at the same time.