A Dulcetto in a Rome hotel

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jboger
Victor IV

A Dulcetto in a Rome hotel

Post by jboger »

I found this machine tucked away in a niche in a Roman hotel.
Attachments
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG (95 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG (79.72 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG (65.17 KiB) Viewed 1728 times

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: A Dulcetto in a Rome hotel

Post by OrthoFan »

It's always fun to come across gramophones in the wild. I suppose it's used as a decorative piece. I've seen a couple of Victrolas over the years in the corners of restaurants, one with a big sign on top of the lid -- "DO NOT TOUCH!" -- spoiling its appearance :lol: .

OrthoFan

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Nice machine and a very uncommon find in Italy! Could you give it a try? Were the records stored in it interesting?

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

"All roads lead to Rome", but it's quite a long way from Stoke on Trent in Staffordshire!

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Stoke, eh? Kind of fires the imagination how this machine made it from the UK to Rome. Did I get to try it? Yes, I did. But I was afraid of raising the dead if I played it for too long. Either that, or bring down the wrath of the hotel management and patrons. But, yes, I did play it for a few seconds. The machine is in the sort of condition one likes to find them: used but not abused. I like the rising (or setting) sun motif of the grille. Not sure of the wood, maybe walnut. A few worn out needles lay about, and I used one of them. The soundbox did not have the word Dulcetto on it, but it was made in England. The records came in at least three sizes: 10 in., 9 in, and 8 in. All were English and all quite worn.

The leg is an unadorned cabriole with a pad foot. In the US, we would call this a piece of Colonial Revival furniture done in the Queen Ann style. The door to the right opens to reveal the grille and to let the sound out; the door to the left is only there to preserve symmetry (mustn't violate symmetry). doesn't even open. It is modeled after a lowboy. I've attached a photo of a high-end Philadelphia example from the 18th C for those not familiar with the form. It's a period piece more closely related to Chippendale then QA, but you get the idea.
Attachments
02f89b08d1b0962063287839eb5c85c2--dressing-tables-queen-anne.jpg

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

it's definitely an experience, just randomly running into machines like that, especially the rare ones. I also happened upon something in the lobby of a hotel in Rome, an EMG or expert, a few years ago.
Attachments
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2888.JPG
IMG_2887.JPG