The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 867
Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?


Attachments:
nelmur.jpg
nelmur.jpg [ 411.97 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 867
it's on Ebay see Auction & Craigslist

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31826


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm
Posts: 1471
Location: Holy Loch in Argyll and Bute
Yes, I've seen a few about but they're basically a clone of the Beltona portable. Or should that be the other way around?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:06 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:51 am
Posts: 291
I was also thinking Beltona - could it be that the Beltona Logo has been covered by the Nelnur tag?


Attachments:
beltona.JPG
beltona.JPG [ 22.83 KiB | Viewed 253 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:34 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:46 pm
Posts: 531
Location: riverside calif
That is a nice unique machine. It seems in excellent shape... Tom B


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:18 am 
Offline
Victor O
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 12:24 pm
Posts: 71
Sidewinder wrote:
I was also thinking Beltona - could it be that the Beltona Logo has been covered by the Nelnur tag?


...or that both just put their own badges on machines mfd. by and procured from yet another co.?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am 
Offline
Victor IV
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 1725
Location: UK
drh wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:
I was also thinking Beltona - could it be that the Beltona Logo has been covered by the Nelnur tag?


...or that both just put their own badges on machines mfd. by and procured from yet another co.?


That is the most logical explanation, given that Beltona was just one of several brand names used on gramophones marketed by the J.G.Murdoch empire, once one of the largest suppliers in the UK. Many of the machines marketed by Murdoch's were manufactured by Symphonion, who also supplied other major retailers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:48 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 513
Yes, nice looking machine. I'm generally not a fan of late 19th, early 20th C oak furniture (with a few exceptions. Morris in the UK, Stickley in the US), but I do appreciate it on talking machines.

The cabinet work on the machines seems to be quite good, well made. In the US, plenty of inexpensive--I could write cheap--machines were made, particularly those Columbia client machines (which is why I find them interesting). I don't recall seeing on this Forum a cheaply made cabinet from abroad--I mean manufactured outside the US. I don't mean those so-called frankenphones and crapolas. Is this because of my selective memory or were cheaply made machines manufactured in the UK and Europe? I refer more to the cabinet then the motor.

By the way, love that spell check. I had to retype "crapolas" several times. Seems that "carpools" is the preferred spelling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 1725
Location: UK
jboger wrote:
Yes, nice looking machine. I'm generally not a fan of late 19th, early 20th C oak furniture (with a few exceptions. Morris in the UK, Stickley in the US), but I do appreciate it on talking machines.

The cabinet work on the machines seems to be quite good, well made. In the US, plenty of inexpensive--I could write cheap--machines were made, particularly those Columbia client machines (which is why I find them interesting). I don't recall seeing on this Forum a cheaply made cabinet from abroad--I mean manufactured outside the US. I don't mean those so-called frankenphones and crapolas. Is this because of my selective memory or were cheaply made machines manufactured in the UK and Europe? I refer more to the cabinet then the motor.

By the way, love that spell check. I had to retype "crapolas" several times. Seems that "carpools" is the preferred spelling.


There were many small firms in the UK turning out gramophones in cheap plywood cabinets and fitted with bought in mechanical components. Just how cheap can be seen from the examples pictured from 1928, when a basic black HMV 101 portable cost £7.


Attachments:
Image (2).jpg
Image (2).jpg [ 2.35 MiB | Viewed 177 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nelmur portable anyone seen one before ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 513
Well, I asked for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.