HMV 101 motor missing part

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Tpapp54321
Victor II

HMV 101 motor missing part

Post by Tpapp54321 »

Hello,
Just today I picked up an HMV 101 off of Craigslist for just $25. Despite being told that it doesn't crank I immediately jumped on it at that price. After taking the reaching the motor, I soon found that it appears to be missing something like a worm gear that attaches to the crank and then winds the the mainspring. What is this part called? Where could I possibly find a replacement? I'm also located in the U.S so that affect my access to parts. Also here's some pictures of the area that's missing the the gear:
image.jpg
IMG_3384.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Re: HMV 101 motor missing part

Post by soundgen »

What's missing as you say is the worm gear /handle screw , also the worm gear has a tiny circlip on the inside end preventing from being removed , finally the non return spring is also missing , also the tin can that covers the motor looks absent unless you have removed it for the pictures , all these are common problems with this motor , the worm gear often wears and causes damage to the winding gear spring arbor so you need to check that this is OK as well , the complete motor is regularly offered for sale on Ebay so you should be able to find one :D