DGAG

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Teak
Victor II

DGAG

Post by Teak »

So, in my buying frenzy, I bought this machine. I hope it will arrive next week. I think, its some sort of G&T baby monarch. Toughts?
:shock:

(edit: new title)
Attachments
IMG_2784.jpg
IMG_2787.jpg
IMG_2788.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg
$_57.JPG
Last edited by Teak on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: G&T

Post by Phonofreak »

It's a G&T Baby Monarch. It looks like the cabinet was refinished and the decal removed. Nice machine, though. It is the equivalent of the American Victor I
Harvey Kravitz

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The horn has been heavily restored as well as the cabinet. The original Morning Glory horn colours for this model were black, green or red.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Shouldn't it have a brass horn re this poor picture taken from the front of Collecting Gramophones ?
Attachments
edison bell 901.jpg
edison bell 901.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Last edited by soundgen on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

and this transfer ? Not very good but you could print a copy and glue to the side !
Attachments
edison bell 902.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

soundgen wrote:Shouldn't it have a brass horn re this poor picture taken from the front of Collecting Gramophones ?
According to the "His Master's Gramophone" book, the brass horn was superseded by the Morning Glory in late 1907.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

But didn't it have this base then ?
Attachments
jm.JPG
jm.JPG (36.42 KiB) Viewed 3014 times

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

More to the point, the entire cabinet in the original poster's question looks like a reproduction to me. HMV / G & T never made softwood cabinets with cheap stain finish. It should be solid oak and the pattern looks completely wrong to me.

As for the horn, it is perfectly correct for a morning glory horn on the cabinet with banner transfer. There have been numerous examples. The picture above (showing the later MG horn) is of a Junior Monarch, not a Baby Monarch too! ;)

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

Hm, to be honest, I bought it, knowing, that there could be something wrong. First I thought the Horn is off, but thats (by the looks of it?) not the case.
The Cabinet itself looks cheaply stained, thats right, but the overall look seems to be that of a baby monarch (the decorative "framing" on top and bottom).
The pattern of the wood is strange, you are right. I only have the pictures as well, for now.

I bought this as "from a collector, original parts" for 400 € so I thought this to be a good deal, even if some things need to be taken care of (are non original)

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

As a G & T reference I would strongly recommend the Proudfoot / Oakley book.

Yours is not G&T but once again Deutsche Grammophon. The case and back bracket are in fantastic original condition. The horn for this model should be painted a dark brown false wood patterning color.