Pathé model x phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
uncledaddy
Victor Jr

Pathé model x phonograph

Post by uncledaddy »

Hello, I'm brand new to this site and not sure what I'm doing.Was just given a Pathéphone model x 19084 brought it back to look pretty nice,and had new springs installed with the motor cleaned and lubricated.I would like to know what originally type of needle is used on this machine and If I can use a steel needle on Pathé acctualle records? The second question is the reproducer in the photo is that the correct position say for steel needle or can it be twisted counter clockwise so the reproducer is facing fully to the front of the machine?
Attachments
pathe model x.png

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Pathé model x phonograph

Post by Curt A »

Yes, you can use steel needles (change them after each play) to play Victor, Columbia, Brunswick or Pathé "Needle Cut" Actuelle lateral cut records (the normal 78 format). The reproducer, as shown is in the correct position to play lateral cut records.

The reproducer can be rotated to face forward to play Pathé or any other vertical cut records (also called hill and dale), but you will need a sapphire stylus to play them. A steel needle will not play a vertical cut record. In that forward mode, you can also play Edison Diamond Disc records, but for that you will need a diamond stylus. You can tell them apart by looking at them with a magnifying glass... the sapphire stylus has a "ball" end and the diamond stylus has a sharp pointed end...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife