Pathé Coquet in need of lots of love

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
walser
Victor II

Pathé Coquet in need of lots of love

Post by walser »

Hi,

Last week someone from La Rioja sent me some pictures of a "Phonograph Goquet" (instead of Coquet) in a pitiful state. I asked for more pictures and saw also that a pair of heads (reproducer and recorder) were included. Long story short, one week later it was at home because I thought I could save a couple of pieces for my other machines.

It arrived today and after inspecting it I have to admit that I've love it and I'm thinking about restoring it during the following months.

It's missing quite a few pieces but before making questions let me show some pictures:
20170925_145647.jpg
Dust, water damage and a feast of woodworm.
20170925_145717.jpg
20170925_145713.jpg
In some places it literally falls apart.
20170925_145749.jpg
20170925_145754.jpg
Rust everywhere and the carriage is frozen in the axle.
20170925_145803.jpg
20170925_150127.jpg
Barrel nut is missing and the pinion is badly damaged. I might have a replacement or else it will be a matter of some hours with the lathe.
20170925_145841.jpg
20170925_145912.jpg
Inside is also rusty. Governor is in pieces and missing all the bolts. I think I have spares for all that or in any case I know where I can find them.
20170925_150033.jpg
Half nut and head-horn tube connector missing. I have the swiveling part that connects to the reproducer. You can see it on the picture with the governor pieces. I can do the tube with the lathe if I don't find one.

I've reached the limit of pictures in a post. I will post the remaining in a minute.
Last edited by walser on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

walser
Victor II

Re: Pathé Coquet in need of lots of love

Post by walser »

These are the two heads:
20170925_150853.jpg
20170925_150834.jpg
I need a new glass diaphragm, dome and sapphire for the reproducer. Both of them are also missing the rigid collet to attach to the swiveling arm.

So thats it! I assume it will never be a museum piece but the fun of restoring it will be unforgettable.

I have for now just one question:

How do the reproducer and recorder attach to the swiveling tube? I see there is a slot for positioning them but I dont see how they are attached. On the Columbia Eagle phonographs I see a similar attachment but it uses a thumb screw to fix it. It looks that on the pathé there is not such screw.

Stay tuned!

Regads,

Pedro Martinez

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

You are brave and to be commended. I hope that you have pest control inspect that case.

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

I have already a liter of xylazel wood worm treatment for soaking it. Just want to test it before on the decals to see if I can save them.

And of course it is sitting on a sealed thick plastic bag outside the house till I can guarantee 100% that its free of woodworms.

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

walser wrote:How do the reproducer and recorder attach to the swiveling tube? I see there is a slot for positioning them but I dont see how they are attached. On the Columbia Eagle phonographs I see a similar attachment but it uses a thumb screw to fix it. It looks that on the pathé there is not such screw.
On the pic, you should see how they connect (without screw).
Good luck for this huge project!
Jeff
Attachments
DSC_0004.jpg

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Thank you Jeff for the picture. It's just a tight fit? The tube looks a little bit tappered. Isnt it?

Best regards

Pedro Martinez

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

walser wrote:Thank you Jeff for the picture. It's just a tight fit? The tube looks a little bit tappered. Isnt it?
Hi,
As far I can see (and try to measure...), it's just a tight fit.
I made one more pic which could be helpfull.
Regards,
Jeff
Attachments
connector.jpg

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Thank you very much indeed Jeff!

Today I made some progress during lunch time. The carriage moves free now and the shafts and all the upper metalwork is rust free and polished.

I managed to save the two big gears by carefully filing the damaged teeth with jewellers files and measured the mandrel gear to be able to reproduce it. I asked on a website that makes gears on demand and the cost was ridiculously high so I will make it.

I also found a picture of the brake because mine is missing one piece. Now I know what to do with it but I need to find some thin steel spring plate and figure out how to solder the piece that holds it.

This night I will start working on the mandrel itself. It has a big dent and I'm wondering if its possible to disassemble it and straighten it from the interior. I will post some pictures later.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Way to go for bringing this back to life! Let me know if you need photos of anything, I have the same machine that is in good working order. Still trying to locate an original reproducer for it, I only have a cheap repro that doesn't sound very good at all.
4D82D93C-BFDC-47BB-BB0F-FB974A246536.jpeg

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

It's always nice to see a machine brought back from a near certain demise. Good luck.