Pathé Coquet in need of lots of love

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Pathé Coquet in need of lots of love

Post by alang »

phonodesbois wrote:
alang wrote:it seems odd that they would sell a device to bypass the feedscrew instead of designing something to aid the carriage with the weight of the horn.Andreas
In fact, the Verité system does not bypass the feedscrew but distributes the horn weight in a different way so there is less pressure on the reproducer (and cylinder).
I will try to measure a Verité system for Coquet.
Ah, OK, I see. It still transports the whole system with the feedscrew. I was confused, because the reproducer is directly connected to the horn and does not use the carriage.

Thanks
Andreas

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for the dimensions of the Système Verité. I'm only missing a couple of things: The diameter of the rods (5 -6 mm?) and the material (plain steel?)

I hope this week I will be able to make a first batch of connectors. I will keep you informed.

Thank you very much in advance,

Pedro

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi Pedro,
So, one more challenge ! (I'm more than impressed with what you are doing...)
Jeff
Attachments
verité 4.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

...and now I wonder why they made it with rods of different diameters, which makes absolutely no sense from an industrial standpoint. A usage nightmare, a storage nightmare, and an industrial nightmare... :?

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:...and now I wonder why they made it with rods of different diameters, which makes absolutely no sense from an industrial standpoint. A usage nightmare, a storage nightmare, and an industrial nightmare... :?
After spending several hours searching on the web I'm going to try to buy at least 2 different sizes of rods to be as close to the original as possible. The good thing is that I can buy metric and imperial sizes so the possibilities are greater.

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Went this morning to do some shopping and bought the materials for doing 6 Système Verité. Stay tuned!
20180104_135838.jpg

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Sorry for the lack of updates. Lots of work this last weeks but I managed to squeeze some few hours between other more important things. The freezing temperatures and rain didn't help either because some things must be done outside.

I received the two carriage shafts and started first to polish them to a mirror finish and then reaming the carriage bushings to make them fit as snuggly but free as possible. I'm very pleased with the result as you cannot notice the difference of thickness of the new shafts vs the old ones and now the carriage moves as smooth as your sweetest dream.
20180122_091905.jpg
I also did a new half nut thicker than the previous one and in brass and its holder also a little bit thicker. To my surprise, the Edison half nuts do not fit on a Pathé because the thread is symmetrical instead of a buttress thread so I'm condemned to make my own half nuts :-)

It was time for a first test with this new shafts and half nut and... I am delighted with the result!

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqp8HUIpzlQ[/youtubehd]

I still have on my to do list the collar for the recorder head, the système Verité and finish the firs run of reproducer collars for selling them. I've also found a source for glass diaphragms for the Pathé reproducer and recorder. I will order the shortly so If anybody also needs them please PM me.
20180122_091723.jpg
Regards,

Pedro Martínez

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Unbelievable transformation... :o
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

I notice that both the Coquets shown have a black painted bedplate. Mine is nickel plated so I guess there were different versions ? I have also noticed from images on line that on some the part which holds the reproducer/horn is vertical and on others slopes backwards. Anyone know why this should be ?
Attachments
20180121_092959.jpg

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Hi Gramtastic,

My one is not black. Its a very dark green. There are several versions (4?) of the coquet (mine is the first version) and they differentiate on quite a few things:

The mandrel shaft an all versions except on the first one is at 45mm from the bedplate and later versions like yours at 50mm. Also, the screws that are on the bedplate under the mandrel on all versions except the first one are countersunk. This was done to allow the use of the slip on mandrel for Salon size cylinders.

This also led to other modifications. The lower shaft of the carriage is exactly under the top one on the first version. On the following versions it was bolted in front of the casting and in the latest version (yours afaik) the casting was modifies and the lower shaft sits inside a protrusion of the casting. By doing this, the carriage was tilted backwards but but turning it 180% and bolting the attached pieces again in the opposite face the result is a straight carriage that had a more suitable angle to play normal size cylinders with the mandrel sitting at 50 mm from the bedplate.

As far as I know, the Salon size cylinders were played using an adaptor for attaching the reproducer or by using the Système Verité.

It might be interessant to collect all the information we have from the different Coquets we have and write an article. My english is very poor for doing it so I would need some help!

Regards,

Pedro Martínez