Pathé Coquet in need of lots of love

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: Pathé Coquet in need of lots of love

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks for the information - you are very knowledgeable !

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

One more time, Pedro you're doing a damned good and impressive job with your Coquet!
Gramtastic wrote:I notice that both the Coquets shown have a black painted bedplate. Mine is nickel plated so I guess there were different versions ? I have also noticed from images on line that on some the part which holds the reproducer/horn is vertical and on others slopes backwards. Anyone know why this should be ?
walser wrote: As far as I know, the Salon size cylinders were played using an adaptor for attaching the reproducer or by using the Système Verité.

It might be interessant to collect all the information we have from the different Coquets we have and write an article.

I have various Coquet models (including a nickel plated one). The first one only sold by Pathé (Model A on the attached pics) was just for standard cylinders while all the models sold by Girard were for salon and standard cylinders. For these dual mandrels machines, I have the impression that the Vérité system was mandatory to play standard cylinders (sorry Pedro!). Anyway, Pathé documentation is close to zero or , at best, scarce...

(By the way Pedro, I'm also looking for glass diaphragms...).

So, who could take the lead to compile Coquet technical data?

Jeff
Attachments
4models.jpg
a2.JPG
b2.JPG
c2-001.JPG
d2.JPG

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Hi Jeff,

I've seen some adaptors to use on small phonograps in order to rise the reproducer and use salon sice cylinders. You can see some of them at http://www.phonorama.fr/autres-accessoires.html and more precisely at http://www.phonorama.fr/fichiers_sites/ ... /b3007.jpg and http://www.phonorama.fr/fichiers_sites/ ... /b3017.jpg

As you say, the documentation is close to zero so this makes this machines even more interesting.

Regarding my restoration, today I made a "Non swivelling connector" for my recording head.

It's made of 4 pieces. I challenged myself to do it with so close tolerances that it could be assembled without soldering and just relying on a press fit.

This is the sequence of the build:
20180126_170055.jpg
20180126_170104.jpg
20180126_173845.jpg
20180126_173916.jpg
20180126_173951.jpg
20180126_175107.jpg
20180126_175139.jpg
20180126_185106.jpg
20180126_185211.jpg
I confess that I have already tested it and....It works! I will make a video one of this days. My neighbours must think that we are mad because we (my kids and me) have been singing VERY LOUD "Happy Birthday" again and again during a couple of hours.... :-)

I have ordered some nickel anodes to plate my pieces and glass diaphragms for the reproducer and recording head. If you are interested in buying connectors or diaphragms PM me. I will start shipping them at the end of February - mid March.

I hope I will find some time this weekend to start making a Système Verité and a reproduction of a recording horn. As far as I know, they were made out of cardboard. If somebody has pictures and/or dimensions of this horn and want to share them with me I would be eternally grateful.

Stay tuned for more updates!

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

walser wrote: I've seen some adaptors to use on small phonograps in order to rise the reproducer and use salon sice cylinders.
Well, I'm lost....
First,I do believe what is explained on phonorama web site (in particular, considering the tremendous knowledge of the person behind this site).
On the other hand, there are several confusing facts:
The Pathé Coquet (as yours) was introduced in 1900 strictly for standard cylinders (there is not enough space to insert the inter (or salon) mandrel).
The Girard “Coquet” (also called Sonor or Vérité http://www.phonorama.fr/publicites-Pathé-p3.html ) was a dual mandrel phonograph.
With a Girard Coquet, without the Vérité system, I didn't succeed to play a standard cylinder but have no issue with the Inter format...
So???
walser wrote: As far as I know, they were made out of cardboard. If somebody has pictures and/or dimensions of this horn and want to share them with me I would be eternally grateful.
I took some pics of a cardboard recorder horn for Pathé phonograph.
Just let me know what else you need.
Jeff
Attachments
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
dimension.jpg

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Thank you Jeff! It looks like paper mache. I dont have the faintest idea of how to work with paper mache but surely it will be fun.

Looking also at Phonorama web page, it looks that there is a version without the shaft to use it directly inserted on the carriage. I suspect that the dimensions are the same as yours but just without the shaft.

Today I managed to start on the Système Verité.

The first challenge was to make a tool to bend the rods accurately. I made this simple tool and after 3 attempts (yes, 3!) I managed to make the first piece.
20180127_150831.jpg
20180127_162615.jpg
Then I started with the tube that connects to the carriage. I'm using a fluted tube to make it impossible to confuse it with a genuine one.
It was very fun to make the little cap with the dimple. It took me also 3 attempts to do it and needed to make some dies and use my wife's press. (Yes, I confessed it later) I also turned a tube to make the bearings of the lateral rods.
20180127_200415.jpg
I'm working now on the set screw but didn't took pictures.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Billehifi
Victor Jr

Post by Billehifi »

Hello
Nice to see your restoration of your phonograph. I have beeen followed your restoration and I can see that your phonograph looks a bit like mine(I have also a restoration project, but I do not know how old mine is- or what model). Your motor(or what it's called), look a bit like mine.
Mabye you can identify my machine, cause it's a bit difficult to restore it, when I don't know how it looks like original?
(I hope you understand me- not that good in english)-and sorry if I'am interrupting your subject.
Attachments
C84693BC-307F-4CB4-BC58-E79D31CF085D.png
1DF0636C-E078-4234-9841-E7F32C16EC37.png

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi, although I don't know this model, I would say that it is not a Pathé machine but probably a german one. The upper work is in good condition and I think that the wood base was for a larger machine. Could you post a pic showing the motor.
Jeff

walser
Victor II

Post by walser »

Hi Billehifi

I'm sure your phonograph is not a Pathé. It looks similar and the design shares the same general concept and maybe even shares some dimensions as the reproducer socket. I'm also following your restoration and I like very much your approach of how you are doing it.

BTW, I Nickel plated my first piece this last week end. I think you need to nickel plate all your pieces to prevent them from rusting again. It's a fairly easy process that can be done at home.

Regards,

Pedro Martínez

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

phonodesbois wrote:One more time, Pedro you're doing a damned good and impressive job with your Coquet!
Gramtastic wrote:I notice that both the Coquets shown have a black painted bedplate. Mine is nickel plated so I guess there were different versions ? I have also noticed from images on line that on some the part which holds the reproducer/horn is vertical and on others slopes backwards. Anyone know why this should be ?
walser wrote: As far as I know, the Salon size cylinders were played using an adaptor for attaching the reproducer or by using the Système Verité.

It might be interessant to collect all the information we have from the different Coquets we have and write an article.

I have various Coquet models (including a nickel plated one). The first one only sold by Pathé (Model A on the attached pics) was just for standard cylinders while all the models sold by Girard were for salon and standard cylinders. For these dual mandrels machines, I have the impression that the Vérité system was mandatory to play standard cylinders (sorry Pedro!). Anyway, Pathé documentation is close to zero or , at best, scarce...

(By the way Pedro, I'm also looking for glass diaphragms...).

So, who could take the lead to compile Coquet technical data?

Jeff
Jeff,

I have a Model "A" style, but in a very simple box, finished in a green leatherette. No sign that I can see there having been a lid either. Have you seen such a model? (Sorry for the thread hi-jack)

Billehifi
Victor Jr

Post by Billehifi »

Billehifi wrote:Hello
Nice to see your restoration of your phonograph. I have beeen followed your restoration and I can see that your phonograph looks a bit like mine(I have also a restoration project, but I do not know how old mine is- or what model). Your motor(or what it's called), look a bit like mine.
Mabye you can identify my machine, cause it's a bit difficult to restore it, when I don't know how it looks like original?
(I hope you understand me- not that good in english)-and sorry if I'am interrupting your subject.

I will post a picture of the motor in my own post then. :)