What machine would have this been fitted to ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

What machine would have this been fitted to ?

Post by soundgen »

Gramophone & Typewriter Exhibition Long Throat Soundbox

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gramophone-T ... Sw-K9ZEKHl
Attachments
aloo.jpg
alo.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: What machine would have this been fitted to ?

Post by epigramophone »

The "Long Throat" Exhibition soundbox was designed to fit travelling arms.

Hines57
Victor Jr

Post by Hines57 »

This model seems to be missing the pin that usually protrudes from the back plate of such soundboxes. Perhaps it is a late model without the pin or maybe the back plate has lost its pin? The "Made in USA" wording is certainly applicable to later Exhibition soundboxes (post 1908). Without the pin isn't there a risk of the soundbox slipping round on its fixing when playing a record? I guess those with early G&T machines will know whether this would be the case.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Considering the fact that the rubber is still white and (probably) flexible, I'd assume that this one has been opened before. Perhaps they happened upon the back and decided to make a few bucks by substituting in a newer face. Also note the rubber seam is on the side, all original victor jobs I've come across had the seam at the base under the needle bar.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Are there not people who will convert a regular ol' Exhibition soundbox into a long neck? I believe they do that by mounting the soundbox on a lathe, turning the back down, and adding the neck. Is that a possibility here?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Hines57 wrote:This model seems to be missing the pin that usually protrudes from the back plate of such soundboxes. Perhaps it is a late model without the pin or maybe the back plate has lost its pin? The "Made in USA" wording is certainly applicable to later Exhibition soundboxes (post 1908). Without the pin isn't there a risk of the soundbox slipping round on its fixing when playing a record? I guess those with early G&T machines will know whether this would be the case.
Well, the Exhibition on my Victor E has the pin broken off; but it plays quite well, when rotated to the correct angle, with the set screw properly tightened.

Bill